In the grooming threads some time ago you all talked about misting the coat before combing. I've done it a couple times and sort of forgot about it. Tonight I hit on the jackpot. . . rain water is phenomenal at softening a dog's coat (I noticed today after a long potty break) so I caught rain water in a container, used a funnel with 1-2 coffee filters inside it, strained the rain water, and put it in a squirt bottle. Before combing, I misted the dogs to dampness but not wetness, and combed. The damp fur not only made the comb slide through nicely without pulling and making the dogs miserable, but the rain water made the coats come out delightfully soft. I am saving up some in a jug for a dry day and refilling the spray bottle as needed. According to online, if you live in a really acidic or polluted city, you might want to just used distilled or even bottled/filtered. It is close but not quite as good as rain water. I guess soft water is the key which rain water is. After watching how much happier the dogs were during the combing and just how soft they came out, I am totally never going to dry comb again, and will use rain water as often as I can. Heck, doing it this way I probably won't have to bathe as much either. Wonder how it would do on the cats? Hmmm.



)