Debarked Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClantyreSheltie

Forums Sage
I will say its pretty awesome to not have to yell at my dogs to shut up.

But my parents recently turned 15 year old dog still gets yelled at to shut up, even having been debarked for 13 of those years. Not like he can hear us anyway. We tried citronella with him too, he liked it. Penny can? Didn't phase him. Sometimes they are just compulsive.

I don't use gimmicky things anymore, because I don't have to. My dogs only bark outside, and it doesn't matter!
 
I will say its pretty awesome to not have to yell at my dogs to shut up.

But my parents recently turned 15 year old dog still gets yelled at to shut up, even having been debarked for 13 of those years. Not like he can hear us anyway. We tried citronella with him too, he liked it. Penny can? Didn't phase him. Sometimes they are just compulsive.

I don't use gimmicky things anymore, because I don't have to. My dogs only bark outside, and it doesn't matter!

So when a dog gets debarked can you still hear it bark? Some sheltie rescues approve of debarking because they say better to debark than to have to get rid of the dog. Do I yell at my Danny Boy to stop barking? Does the sun come up everyday? If inside the house he does stop. If outside he may stop for a minute and start back up again especially if he's barking at those big swans that come to see him or the squirrel trespassing or the bird flying overhead or .........:lol:
 
So when a dog gets debarked can you still hear it bark? Some sheltie rescues approve of debarking because they say better to debark than to have to get rid of the dog. :

It seems to depend on the dog. Indy was debarked before I brought him home at almost 10 months. I can't imagine what he would sound like if he WASN'T debarked! :rolleyes2:

p.s. I think I'm going to ship Indy to my Dad's for a month or so. Indy ALWAYS behaves around him. No barking, no jumping on couches. One look from Dad and Indy does an instant sit/lie.
 
So when a dog gets debarked can you still hear it bark?

Oh yes. We had nine dogs at my parents house today, eight are debarked. We had to bring them in from the yard when they got going. The neighbors still pitch a fit at even the debarked barking. The border collie baby is not debarked, but she doesn't nonsense bark, so she is probably safe.

I'll make a video one day so you can hear it.
 
I think my Lottie may have been debarked, although I do not know for sure. She has a different bark than any I've heard before. But you can definitely still hear her.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top