Debarking: Health Issues, Side Effects for Dog already been Debarked

Bailey's Mom

Forums Enthusiast
As rescue hasn't been working out we've been contacting breeders who might have adult dogs available for our next Sheltie. I ran across a new term I'd never encountered in rescue and saw a variety of opinions ranging mostly from the don't ever do this to this is why we did this.

In this case it has already been done, so the option is not one for us to consider. However, what I've read makes me uncomfortable, so I want to learn more about any health, emotional, social issues we might be facing regarding this because I'm clueless. I've never had an issue with our dogs barking. They are Shelties, they bark. However, I've also never shown dogs, so I'm not sure how common this practice is there either, which appears to be why the procedure was done.

Again, this has already been done, so I'm not looking to debate the ethics of doing it. I'm just trying to decide if this is a factor in choosing this animal as our next dog. The Internet is full of lots of opinions on how to make the decision, little about life after and I'm interested in learning more as we think about this choice.
 
Oh boy, be prepared for a rather intense discussion. This topic can get heated at times.

To answer your question, my two older dogs (Edan and CJ) are both debarked (bark softened is actually a better description) and were debarked by their breeder since they were both her show prospects from their litter. This DOES NOT mean they can't bark, believe me they can. Their bark is just a fraction of the volume. They have had absolutely zero health issues because of it and they will be 10 in a little more than a month.

Keiran, my 19 month old, is not debarked and I have no plans to debark him.

I'm not opposed to debarking but I do believe the decision to debark or not not should be made individually by the dog's owner based on their situation. I would sooner debark my dog if I were receiving noise complaints, for example, than have to give up the dog. Others, such as the breeders local to me who live in more urban or tight suburban areas for example, do it because they respect their neighbors and don't want to upset them with the ruckus a large number of dogs can bring with them.
 
Callie, my rescue and first sheltie, was debarked when I got her. Out of the five shelties that I've had, she was the least vocal and I didn't really know until months after I got her when she finally decided to voice her opinion.
She had some health issues but I don't see how they could have been related to that procedure.
She was perfectly happy voicing her opinion at a lower volume.....
 
Most Shelties that are show dogs are bark softened. Of my six, five have had the procedure, which is actually quite simple and fast. None of my dogs have ever had a side effect or a problem afterward, and two of them are nearly 10. When I leave the vet's office there are no restrictions on the dogs in terms of activity or anything else. All five of them bark with no problem; as Silaria said, they just bark at a lower volume. Believe me, you can still hear them! They don't seem to know there's any difference in their sound.

This is an article about the procedure that I wrote last year. It may help answer some of your questions.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5299262_vocal-cord-surgery-dogs.html
 
Honestly it's been a godsend. Brooke and Faith both came bark-softened so no decision on our part. Our first 3 Shelties were not and we had neighbor complaints, as careful as we tried to be. They can both bark just fine, it's just a lot softer and the sound doesn't carry. I told my vet before their spays (because of intubation) but she was unconcerned, and afterwards said it presented no problem.

Brooke in particular likes the sound of her own voice, and at full volume it would be obnoxious. She just barks when she's happy and excited, and it's hard to keep correcting her because it bums her out. We still train "no bark" but it doesn't make me cringe anymore, worrying if our crappy neighbor will leave a note on our door again.....

I say, don't worry, and enjoy a little more quiet, LOL.
 
I wouldn't let it stop me from adopting a sheltie if that particular dog fit other requirements- like getting along with existing pet members....

I can't agree more.

Like any surgical procedure, there are risks to bark-softening. Yes, it can make intubation more difficult (but if the vet knows ahead of time, it's not a problem).

However, there are zero negative emotional or social ramifications, as far as I have seen in the dozens and dozens (scores!) of bark-softened dogs of various breeds who I have lived with and met.

Consider this: a dog with a full bark, who enjoys barking (and many Shelties genuinely enjoy barking!), will likely spend a not-insignificant portion of his life being told to shut up already, or isolated, or fitted with an anti-bark collar, or otherwise physically or psychologically discouraged from barking. But a dog who is bark-softened can be allowed to bark.

Those who oppose bark-softening often suggest that owners instead "train their dogs not to bark". But if you've lived with a group of Shelties or Collies or other dogs who enjoy barking - they bark for joy, they bark in response to something new, they bark to greet the day, they bark in frustration ("Throw the !@#% ball!") - you know that you might as well try to train a human not to scratch an itch. You can channel the energy, or try to teach them alternate behaviors, but this tends to just build frustration. There is something to be said for just allowing the critters to bark, at a volume that allows them to live with neighbors.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
My Melli rescue is bark softened. She doesn't have the raspy hoarse version, but rather her tone is lower and the output is far less -- compared to Cubby who can make your teeth hurt with his pitch and volume. Since Melli is 9+ I have seen no problems. She has been "under" for procedures a couple times and I have not been told there were issues. I don't consciously think when she barks "ick, not normal". I think she's just Melli and sounds a lot less piercing than Cubby. I wouldn't hesitate to adopt an excellent candidate based on that factor.

Edit: I didn't phrase right. My Melli rescue CAME bark softened . . . I wouldn't hesitate to adopt based on that factor. I know this girl is at least 9 so I really don't see any health issue or longterm anything issue.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top