Demand feeding, your thoughts.

Laddie's Mom

Forums Enthusiast
I am not sure where to post this, so, I will start here.

What is your favorite way to feed? I have been doing "demand" feeding, meaning, I keep his bowl down all the time, I fill it up once a day. He hardly ever eats.

The trainers at the school said to not do this method, it causes him to not want to count on me, but, I have always done it this way, and except for this dog, they all acted fine with me.

What are your thoughts. I get a lot of different ideas on training tips from them, most I have not heard of and I am really not to excited about.
 
I have never fed on demand other than for one cat who was painfully thin and I was trying to put weight on. Shelties I think easily put on excess weight - my vet says almost all the ones he sees are overweight - so I feed twice a day. It's another chance to practice sit & wait :smile2:
 
I was able to feed my first Sheltie by putting down her dish and let her work on it all day. She just picked at her food. The two I have now do everything but inhale the dish. I even have two of the dishes that are supposed to keep them from gobbling...which helps, but they still act like they haven't eaten in a week. So...mine end up getting fed two times a day, with dishes up the rest of the time.
 
We had to watch a chi for DH's friend who was demand fed and did not go well. Not only would Olive try to steal it (and then get sick because it was cheap food) but it wouldn't even eat all that was needed for maintain it's 3-4lbs frame (it was undersized, not housebroken, and just plain rude)

Olive is fed in 4 equal meals (8a, 1p, 6p, 11p) as her stomach processes food too fast and will vomit in the middle of the night. She does highly value treats but I'm not sure if that's her general food motivation or having specific meal times.
 
I think there are too many pros to feeding on a schedule to not do it, if that makes sense.

Reasons are below:
  • I always know when my dogs are eating
  • I always know how MUCH my dogs eat
  • I always know if something is wrong right away, if they don't eat (or eat slowly, less than usual, etc.)
  • I'm better able to control how much they eat, portion size, etc.
 
I think there are too many pros to feeding on a schedule to not do it, if that makes sense.

Reasons are below:
  • I always know when my dogs are eating
  • I always know how MUCH my dogs eat
  • I always know if something is wrong right away, if they don't eat (or eat slowly, less than usual, etc.)
  • I'm better able to control how much they eat, portion size, etc.

I couldn't agree more.

Look at it this way: there's no harm in trying it.
 
Last edited:
I was able to feed my first Sheltie by putting down her dish and let her work on it all day. She just picked at her food. The two I have now do everything but inhale the dish. I even have two of the dishes that are supposed to keep them from gobbling...which helps, but they still act like they haven't eaten in a week. So...mine end up getting fed two times a day, with dishes up the rest of the time.
That is how Laddie eats. His bowl usually has food left by the end of the day and all I give him is a cup full in the morning.
 
If he does not have a problem with weight - then there is no reason to change what you are doing as it appears to be working. You aren't really 'free-feeding' in that you give a set amount per day. True free feeding, if I understand it correctly, means keeping the bowl topped up at all times, so the pet can eat as much as they please. If I gave Hanna all her food allowance in the morning it would be all gone in a few minutes with nothing left for the rest of the day. She does not inhale her food, I can hear her chewing but it only takes her a few minutes to clean out the bowl.
 
If he does not have a problem with weight - then there is no reason to change what you are doing as it appears to be working. You aren't really 'free-feeding' in that you give a set amount per day. True free feeding, if I understand it correctly, means keeping the bowl topped up at all times, so the pet can eat as much as they please. If I gave Hanna all her food allowance in the morning it would be all gone in a few minutes with nothing left for the rest of the day. She does not inhale her food, I can hear her chewing but it only takes her a few minutes to clean out the bowl.
He seems to have good weight, he is 13 inches at the shoulder, and the last time I weighed him, he was 11 pounds. He just does not eat a lot. I am surprised, most dogs eat so fast you wonder where it goes, but not Lad. I have heard of free feeding, I have not done that, only the set amount, which seems to be working. If I tried a schedule, he may starve, he just does not eat at normal hours, nor act hungry, and he certainly "waits" when I put his bowl down in the morning. Sweet baby. :wink2:
 
food is such a value resource and motivator I would rather not waste it by giving it free in a bowl. In addition to all the things Ashley stated that's why I don't feed like that.

Believe me you put down the food and pick it up in 10 minutes or feed him only when you train food will become a lot more important to him. He will not starve.

I hand free all my dogs the majority of their food when training for at least 3-4 months after I get them. Does 2 things bonds them to me and makes food important and pairs it with training and makes that important as well. I do the same with play and tug, I pair it with training. Don't waste the motivators.
 
Back
Top