Melody is about 16" tall, bigger girl. Came to me in Aug. at 39 pounds. We eat TOTW bison. We eat 3 times a day because the shepherd is really really prone to the grumbly tummy possible bloat and smaller meals are better. I gave her 1/2 what keeps my shepherd at a trim 52 pounds. Dropped Melli to 34 pounds over a couple months.
BUT! She became this monster, trying to take Shay's food, having to be fed in the bathroom but when she exits I have to put him in a stay UP on the couch where she can't kill him. I believe she blames him for her being hungry. Well, she blames him for everything from hunger to gunshots, poor fella. Rest of the time she gets along with him fine. She's back up to 37 pounds.
My question is how can I reduce her food without her killing and eating us in our sleep? I realize that she is currently eating about 150 pieces of food per meal. I am going to try actually reducing by 1 piece per meal per day and se if she can adapt that slowy. Counting is not THAT hard to do if you prepare 2 days' worth at a time.
Any other ideas? She WILL eat anything. Carrots, celery, onions, ice, crackers, pretzels, bread, bananas, anything that hits the floor so I imagine I can throw some carrots in and give her more to crunch per meal?
BUT! She became this monster, trying to take Shay's food, having to be fed in the bathroom but when she exits I have to put him in a stay UP on the couch where she can't kill him. I believe she blames him for her being hungry. Well, she blames him for everything from hunger to gunshots, poor fella. Rest of the time she gets along with him fine. She's back up to 37 pounds.
My question is how can I reduce her food without her killing and eating us in our sleep? I realize that she is currently eating about 150 pieces of food per meal. I am going to try actually reducing by 1 piece per meal per day and se if she can adapt that slowy. Counting is not THAT hard to do if you prepare 2 days' worth at a time.
Any other ideas? She WILL eat anything. Carrots, celery, onions, ice, crackers, pretzels, bread, bananas, anything that hits the floor so I imagine I can throw some carrots in and give her more to crunch per meal?