Does anyone else have a dog with itchy ears?

Abby's Dad

Forums Enthusiast
Abby's ears are still a major problem. Mainly just itchy, red, inflammed.

We have been to her regular vet back when it started in Oct. and got wash and mometamax drops. Reappeared in Dec., same treatment. Reappeared in Feb., same treatment. Went to a Hollistic vet March 1st and got Traumeel drops ....they help but not as good as the mometamax. We saw a dermatologist in Feb. also who put her on benadryl which did nothing. She shakes her head w/o drops and shakes her head with drops. She also developed a rash under her armpit. That was treated with powder.

She had nice solid poops for 6 weeks then diarrhea returned last Sat. Its nothing she eats or ate when i'm not looking.

Her food is California Natural. It does not appear to be food related because she can go 6 weeks w/o any problems.

What else can I do? I feel sooooo bad its like i'm doing nothing...but trying hard to find a solution. Where do I take her now?
 
Yes i know the problem well, we are going to an allergist today. Max is shaking his head, scratching his ears etc. we know he has allergies, but our allergist stopped practicing. Max has been on and off cortisone for allergies, but now he is having reactions. I'll let you know how we make out. Is there any odor?
 
I just went through a short ear infection episode with our Bentley. It cleared with no issues, but our other Shelties were having other issues (Zoey was biting herself constantly and Murphy would dig at his ears) so I decided to switch them back to a grain-free high quality kibble and guess what??? All their issues have now resolved. I've read that many dogs can develop allergies to grains in their diet or to some other ingredients. I, personally, am not a big fan of California Natural. Prefer Innova or Canadae brands.

I also just got this fabulous ear cleaner from K-9 Liquid Health. Amazon has the best price: http://www.amazon.com/For-Animals-K9-Ear-Solutions/dp/B000OUY5L6
Very good ingredients for tackling just about any ear issue.

Question. Do you bathe your Sheltie or take him to the groomer? Got to make sure you plug their ears with cotton before bath time to help keep the water and soap out.
 
Yes i know the problem well, we are going to an allergist today. Max is shaking his head, scratching his ears etc. we know he has allergies, but our allergist stopped practicing. Max has been on and off cortisone for allergies, but now he is having reactions. I'll let you know how we make out. Is there any odor?

thank you, thank you!!! PLEASE let me know..

No odor, just plain itchy.
 
[QUOTE=lovemyshelties;219653]I just went through a short ear infection episode with our Bentley. It cleared with no issues, but our other Shelties were having other issues (Zoey was biting herself constantly and Murphy would dig at his ears) so I decided to switch them back to a grain-free high quality kibble and guess what??? All their issues have now resolved. I've read that many dogs can develop allergies to grains in their diet or to some other ingredients. I, personally, am not a big fan of California Natural. Prefer Innova or Canadae brands.

California natural is grain free

I also just got this fabulous ear cleaner from K-9 Liquid Health. Amazon has the best price: http://www.amazon.com/For-Animals-K9-Ear-Solutions/dp/B000OUY5L6
Very good ingredients for tackling just about any ear issue.


Will stain hair, carpet,walls??? kinda scarry:eek2:

Question. Do you bathe your Sheltie or take him to the groomer? Got to make sure you plug their ears with cotton before bath time to help keep the water and soap out.[/QUOTE]

I bath her and her ears do not get wet.

 
Back
Top