Does the nose know?

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that Bacca seems to be sniffing around Indy's head alot.

I'm not seeing that Indy has any specific health issues that I am aware of, but I can't explain why Bacca keeps sniffing Indy's mouth and ears.

Perhaps there is an issue there? Or perhaps Bacca just likes the smell of Indy's breath?

The only thing about Indy lately is that he seems to be panting an awful lot.....up to now, I've assumed this was a stress behaviour, but now I'm starting to wonder.

Do your dogs sniff around each other faces?
 
Mine are always smelling each others heads/mouths. They are also big on licking the inside of each others mouths:dead:bleck...ive read where its part of a pack pecking order if you will, kind of showing respect or whos in charge if I remember correctly.
 
Well, it's interesting then that its Bacca doing the sniffing, because he's top dog.

For sure, Indy does not like it. But puts up with it. And yes, Bacca will lick too.
 
I wish Lucky would lick Lady, cause she sure doesn't clean herself up like Lucky does. The only thing Lucky licks is himself, and Lady the DIRT DIVA I have to clean her up.

Lucky is like a cat cleaning himself up. What does Lady do, she rubs her face against anything to wipe her mouth off. Her paws she hands to me.

Lady asks, whats licking, never heard of it.
 
I wish Lucky would lick Lady, cause she sure doesn't clean herself up like Lucky does. The only thing Lucky licks is himself, and Lady the DIRT DIVA I have to clean her up.

Lucky is like a cat cleaning himself up. What does Lady do, she rubs her face against anything to wipe her mouth off. Her paws she hands to me.

Lady asks, whats licking, never heard of it.

that's cause she's a "Lady" :winkgrin::lol:
 
Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that Bacca seems to be sniffing around Indy's head alot.

I'm not seeing that Indy has any specific health issues that I am aware of, but I can't explain why Bacca keeps sniffing Indy's mouth and ears.

Perhaps there is an issue there? Or perhaps Bacca just likes the smell of Indy's breath?

The only thing about Indy lately is that he seems to be panting an awful lot.....up to now, I've assumed this was a stress behaviour, but now I'm starting to wonder.

Do your dogs sniff around each other faces?

All I can offer is what we see here.Trapp will lick Earnhardts ears,and lick his forehead,when there is an ear issue with Earnie.Since he has been prone to some really terrible ear infections last year,we pay notice now to Trapp's licking.

The last time he did this,was the day before we took Earnhardt to the vet,and Dr.McKaskill said it was a good thing we brought him in,as the infection was very deep.That day,Earnhardt showed signs of something amiss.As he was turning his head while he was walking.The day before he showed no signs..other than Trapp's licking.

I have said it time and again,Trapp is very intuitive.I remember back some time ago,I was in bed with a horrific migraine.Trapp laid right up close to me,and licked my forehead.
 
I have noted it very often after vet visit, one will smell each other exactly where shot was given. Che was smelling one dog about a week after doggie got hit by skunk/ many baths after/ and was smelling exactly where that dog was hit.
It has been noted that mothers sometimes will eat their newborns specialy those born with issues. There is theory/ research done when puppies are born, sick ones have different gas exchange so mother knows which one is not going to be viable. Some breeders noted that their bitches exibited different/ more anxious/ behavior whenever puppy with problems were born.
If the sniffing of particluar area is presisitent I would pay attention to it. Dogs KNOW before we can.
Often specific breath coming out of pt's mouth will alert me to the problem pt is having, it must be much more pronounced to doggies sense of smell.
 
Yes, the nose knows.

Marque has sniffed out kidney failure and adrenal cancer. He did the same behavior a few weeks ago with a dog who looks thyroid/adrenal. But Marque was very specifically around the same spot as the first adrenal dog. The owners blew it off, but we will see.
 
I do believe that the dogs can smell illness in a dog.

I am wondering if something is going on, and that is why Bacca had his outburts where he bit you as well.
 
Back
Top