Dog BMI

Wow, I hate to say it, but she sounds like I use to be when on a diet and my blood sugar bottomed out, as long as I ate and did not feel hungry and my blood sugar was normal, I was fine, but let it deviate and I get hungry, watch out. LOL.

Hope things work out for her, I am sure it is no fun for either one of you.
 
Birch was 72, overweight. That is the funniest thing I have read today. He is lean and muscular. Perfect weight.
 
I have used those BMI's for me, I don't like what they say, I mean, everyone is different, they almost want a person to be a stick I think.
 
Dickens came out at 72; he's 20.5 inches and 43 pounds (he was 44 at eleven months); trim and muscular. Of course, as someone has pointed out, there is great variance within the Sheltie population. For me, this is just a one-size-fits-all type of measurement, and if you're within ten to 15 percent of the supposed ideal, you're probably okay.
 
Honey got a 73... but she actually lost a ton of weight and you can feel her ribs much better from a year ago. She was 29lbs at her heaviest, now 24. A good weight for her is usually 22-23 pounds, so not too shabby for in a year. According to this though, she'd have to be 20 pounds, which to me seems like too little.

Ruutu got a 65 which means he's at the correct weight. I had to use his old measurements though so it might even be lower. Last time we checked, he was 31 pounds and 18.25 inches, but we all know he's still a growing boy.
 
Her issue is during feeding. She gets into this monster frenzy. She actually attacks Shay to get his food, blames him and turns on him if there are no more treats after I give one to each, and even if I lock her in the bathroom to eat she comes tearing out and finds Shay and attacks with teeth like she thinks he got something she didn't. If on a strict diet she gets really snarky and attacks Shay if she hears a noise, he walks by, anything. It's like she blames him for not enough food. She is nice to the cats throughout, though, which is odd. I have never seen anything like this.

IF she is given enough food to feel full at each meal, she runs out yapping and runs around looking to see if Shay left any (I pick up bowl) and we go outside to potty and when we come back in all is well. She gets along great with Shay all the rest of the time.

I went to 2/3 cup of diet food (298 kcal/cup) rather than TOTW (370 kcal/cup) so that she can eat more pieces for less calories. The veges worked for awhile but she caught on and got angry again. However, 2/3 cup of kibble and she does fine consistently even if it means only 2x a day rather than 3x a day. It's about the full belly feeling. She is not even looking for food mid-day or early in the morning before I get up (getting restless or waking me). It's about how full her belly is at whatever meals.

We will see where this goes. She usually takes a regimen for a week or two and then goes bonkrs.

If this doesn't get a handle on things, I will re-do labs in a couple months when I do our big vet annual. All was well when she came but this is a year later and her life is different than before.

Baffling, she is an angry dieter that is all I can say.
Sounds like what parent's male sheltie and yorkie do. They can't pass out dog treats or there's a dog fight. Everyone eats in separate rooms too. When we cut back Honey's she complained a bunch. To this day she'll still complain if she's hungry. We started to feed her a little more in the morning than in the evening and that did the trick. I'm pretty sure she knows she gets less at night, but it's all about having her belly filled throughout the day for her.
 
Sounds like what parent's male sheltie and yorkie do. They can't pass out dog treats or there's a dog fight. Everyone eats in separate rooms too. When we cut back Honey's she complained a bunch. To this day she'll still complain if she's hungry. We started to feed her a little more in the morning than in the evening and that did the trick. I'm pretty sure she knows she gets less at night, but it's all about having her belly filled throughout the day for her.

No dogs get treats in my house unless they're first trained to not touch food until given permission. That way I can get them all to sit and concentrate on their own food until I give the word. Generally the treats get gobbled down more-or-less simultaneously, leaving nothing left over to fuel envy.
 
I have never had this problem, everyone nicely eating across the room from everyone else. This dog was great at first, then I fed her leashed, then I just finally fed her in the bathroom.

I like feeding her in another room as the shepherd then does not gobble food lie a maniac. Between me walking her to the bathroom, making her sit for food, then walking back to pick up the shepherd's bowl he eats much more slowly. Then I put him up on the couch in a stay where she can't get him. She runs out and looks around and then I release the shepherd and we go out.

If I don't feed her enough, she still attacks the shepherd. If I feed her enough she just runs around yapping.

Nasty dieter, I tell you.
 
Cran got 63- he's a good weight so that's ok
amazingly Dix also got 63 but I think she could lose another lb....
Jocu got 66 but he is too skinny- in the awkward phase...
Destin got 50 but he is not skinny at all.... but still a puppy boy:winkgrin:
very entertaining:yes:
 
Back
Top