Dry Heaves!?!?

Megansmom

Forums Sage
I am fairly new to this communtiy and have posted this elsewhere in this forum but wnated to try over here for multiple opinions!

My 17 week old tri female has been having the dry heaves ONLY in the AM for the past 3 mornings:no:..I thought we had the problem solved by feeding her a small meal bfore bedtime so she wouldn't have bile build up and for a week it seemed to work! BUT then the past 3 mornings she's doing it again..Here's the tricky part, she acts completely normal in every way shape and form after she attepmts to dry heave. No loss of appetite, stools are normal, urination is normal, EVERYTHING..

Here is what I have done so far:

Talked to the Vet, she suggested a 2.5mg of Pepcid before bed at this point
Feed her ONLY dog food no human treats at all
Food is Castor & Pollux puppy naturals w/a tsp of Purina Pro Plan puppy canned, and Kefir yogurt.
Dewormed at least 3x
3 fecal samples, all negative
Keep crate clean and fresh with a towel to lay on.

Help, what am doing wrong or will she just grow out of this?? Thank you all in advance for any ideas or suggestions :yes:
 
I've noticed that puppies throw up at the drop of a hat. It's tough because you don't want to over-react, but you don't want to miss anything, either. What I do is check what's coming up. If it's nothing, I watch the behavior. If everything else seems normal, I don't worry. I figure their little systems are still figuring out how this big bad world works:)
 
I've noticed that puppies throw up at the drop of a hat. It's tough because you don't want to over-react, but you don't want to miss anything, either. What I do is check what's coming up. If it's nothing, I watch the behavior. If everything else seems normal, I don't worry. I figure their little systems are still figuring out how this big bad world works:)



Hi Chris, you sound like you're a breeder and know a heck of a lot more than I do, which is awesome:biggrin2:. Does it seem odd to you that her system is still trying to figure this big bad world out at 17 weeks?

TY SOOOO much,

loving this forum and all you nutty animal lovers like myself
 
How fast does she eat? A lot of pups seem to eat too fast for their little tummys to handle. You could try giving her just the moist food in the morning or putting her kibble in a treat bottle (thats what I did with mine) to slow her down.

She may also be losing puppy fur and if she is a licker she could be licking overnight and getting the fur caught.

And then she could just be getting over-excited.

Chris is right, they do seem to throw up a lot. All that energy leaks out sometimes!:winkgrin:
 
How fast does she eat? A lot of pups seem to eat too fast for their little tummys to handle. You could try giving her just the moist food in the morning or putting her kibble in a treat bottle (thats what I did with mine) to slow her down.

She may also be losing puppy fur and if she is a licker she could be licking overnight and getting the fur caught.

And then she could just be getting over-excited.

Chris is right, they do seem to throw up a lot. All that energy leaks out sometimes!:winkgrin:



Thankfully she is not a fast eater at all, but she does lick quite a bit! I was thinking about letting her sleep in her play pen tonight to see if having more room to sleep might help if she is getting fur caught in her throat!?!? :wink2:
 
Is she real excited to see you first thing in the mornings after being by herself all night? With puppies, that tends to get their tummies rolling a bit. Does she do her dry heaves before she eats, or after? You may have mentioned and I overlooked forgive me if so.
 
Our boy Rookie was doing that recently. It was around 4am every morning almost for a week. I wondered if maybe it was low blood sugar, so started giving him a snack around 9pm. On the night's he got the snack, he didn't vomit the next morning?? Thought I was on to something. One night, I forgot to give him the 9pm snack..(oops!!).. The next morning, he threw up and was chewing on something?? (gross I know!), I pulled it out of his mouth and it was small pieces of a special kind of bone designed to clean their teeth. Since he threw that up...got it out of his system...he has not thrown up again in the mornings. My thought is that when his system was empty..digested everything..it then began trying to digest the bone fragments, but couldn't and that is why he vomited? Our vet doens't really agree with me, but I think I'm 100% on the mark. Makes sense to me??

Also, he has been known to vomit up hairballs..his own, as well as our boy Baron's from roughhousing.
 
Thankfully she is not a fast eater at all, but she does lick quite a bit! I was thinking about letting her sleep in her play pen tonight to see if having more room to sleep might help if she is getting fur caught in her throat!?!? :wink2:

Maybe try giving her a good brushing out before bedtime too?? Less hair to swallow ;-)..
 
Back
Top