Dry skin scabs along spine.

Sandy0226

Forums Novice
Our 6-year-old male sheltie has developed some dry scabby lesions mainly along his spine. I have tried using an oil (from pet store) in his food and applied some topical spray for dry skin to the area. However, neither has helped. About a month ago, he had some sores on his underside and the vet treated with antibiotic and they cleared up nicely. Don't know if these things are related or not. Anybody else have a sheltie with this issue or any suggestions?
 
Go to your vet and have your dog tested for hypothyroid.

One of the first symptoms is skin condition.

Second, if your dog is on a mainly beef or chicken diet, consider switching to a different protein. This may be an allergy

You asked about a Sheltie with skins conditions.....I've seen it all with my Bacca.
 
Could be soo many things, id suggest a trip to the vet and see what they think. Could be fungal, allergies, etc....
 
I agree with the above posts, better to be safe than sorry.:wink2: Keep us posted, hope its something simple.
 
dry scabby spots on skin

My Tyler is 2 1/2 years old He started to get red scabby spots on his belly and then on his back, My vet said he had an alergy. Gave me shampoo, predisone and another pill. I was supposed to bath him avery other day for three times. It did clear up his skin. My question was that would this come back?The vet didn't say what the alergy was. so has anyone out there had the same problem?
 
My Tyler is 2 1/2 years old He started to get red scabby spots on his belly and then on his back, My vet said he had an alergy. Gave me shampoo, predisone and another pill. I was supposed to bath him avery other day for three times. It did clear up his skin. My question was that would this come back?The vet didn't say what the alergy was. so has anyone out there had the same problem?

It could be so many things.

As I said a previous post...sebboreah is a classic symptom of hypothyroid in dogs, and Shelties are particularly prone to the disease. Has your vet suggested blood tests? It is too easy to just say allergies.

You must question your vet further.

If the scabby spots are oily, then be careful that you don't use an oatmeal based shampoo. That will make it worse. The best product I found through my vet is Nizoral which you can find in the dandruff section of your pharmacy.

But if it truly just dry itchy skin. Then you need to look at diet. Eliminate chicken protein (chicken fat is ok). Consider going grain free or limited ingredient. There are lots of choices out there. And I and others on the forum can help

But you really need to get to the cause of this. So I reiterate that your vet should have given more guidance and perhaps it's time for a new vet?
 
Back
Top