drying shelties + hot spots

ruckusluvr

Forums Enthusiast
do you completely dry your shelties after a bath? Mine are not heavy coated and I pretty well strip out all of the undercoat in the spring with a mars coat king. (of course all dogs are completely dried at my grooming shop)

I normally do not dry them all of the way. I use a high velocity drier that sheets the water off of them, but they are still a little damp after that. I have never thought anything of it until Ruckus recently developed a hot spot behind his ear. Behind his ears usually do not get dry after the bath and i wonder if i caused it.

but he also is allergic to grass and itchy in the first place. plus frontline wasnt working for us and he had a few fleas. So that could be why too.
 
I dont as a rule completely dry mine either when they have a full bath. Deska at least is still a little damp with his heavy coat - even using the dog dryer.

But I do put baby powder behind the ears when I am drying as it absorbs the moisture and makes this area easier to dry, otherwise it stays really damp (hard to get in there with a force dryer). I know that area being damp really annoys my two as they will continually rub the area against the carpet, couch etc. I was told to use the talcum powder by show people.
 
I towel dry Smudge, and he doesn't go outside for at least 45 minutes afterwards. Mostly because I can't bear the sight of him rolling around in the dirt after all my hard work. :rolleyes2:
 
I dry Romeo off completely with the industrial pet dryer which wicks off moisture (I never use the heat) because it's too humid here and it takes forever for his undercoat to air dry. Behind the ears and the armpits of his front feet tend to take forever and get tangled and matted in the process too.
 
During the summer I only towel dry Sadie. Its usually warm enough outside that it doesn't take her long to dry completely.

During the winter I dry her as much as possible, since I don't want her fur freezing in the cold
 
I do the same as OntarioSheltie - leave them just towel dried in the summer and dry them in the winter.
 
I don't have a pet dryer, so I just towel them down, and let them go, but not outside. I've never had any hot spots on mine in the past or recently. Good luck.
 
Is that HUMAN baby powder?

I dont as a rule completely dry mine either when they have a full bath. Deska at least is still a little damp with his heavy coat - even using the dog dryer.

But I do put baby powder behind the ears when I am drying as it absorbs the moisture and makes this area easier to dry, otherwise it stays really damp (hard to get in there with a force dryer). I know that area being damp really annoys my two as they will continually rub the area against the carpet, couch etc. I was told to use the talcum powder by show people.
 
Good, then I feel better. I really didnt think it was caused by leaving him a little damp.

He is has allergies, and usually a few fleas... so i bet that is why
he is allergic to grass so we have a hard time with his allergies sometimes.
 
Back
Top