Early Start on Keepsakes

JacqueZ

Forums Enthusiast
https://imgur.com/EXoku0t

After Honey's last bath I saved all the freshly washed fur I brushed out, and knitted it into a heart. My husband does not care for it. I love the way it feels, and am super excited it actually turned out heart shaped and is staying together.

I'll be mailing it out today. I asked my best friend to crochet me a Sheltie Pillow, and she was understanding enough (and less grossed out by the idea than my husband) to agree to sew the heart inside. Matching Honey's colors for the pillow was a little difficult, I was worried going with the closest match to her fur would end up to dark, since there's a lot of undercoat peeping out that lightens it when you take in her all together. I think we found something decent though, and I'm so excited to see how it turns out!
 
You should see all the fur I've saved, your husband would be really grossed out! I needle felted some too (including a heart) but decided I'd save the rest for when I could do a dog shaped one that resembled a sheltie. I even asked for some of Deska's fur when he died, but the nurse gave me the wrong fur and cut his mane and that doesn't felt. It's that undercoat, it is wonderful.
 
You should see all the fur I've saved, your husband would be really grossed out! I needle felted some too (including a heart) but decided I'd save the rest for when I could do a dog shaped one that resembled a sheltie. I even asked for some of Deska's fur when he died, but the nurse gave me the wrong fur and cut his mane and that doesn't felt. It's that undercoat, it is wonderful.

Oh that's interesting, I've looked at needle felting (there are some truly amazing pieces on forums) but have never actually gotten around to doing it. I had a bag of hair from both dogs sitting in my closet for years. I intended on felting it into balls to make into a charm bracelet, but then I lost interest in jewelry making. I threw that out this year when I was cleaning my closet. Then Cindy agreed to make me my pillow and I decided to ask if I could send her some alternate stuffing. Isn't that always the way though, as soon as you clean anything out you suddenly have the perfect use for it!
 
Oh that's interesting, I've looked at needle felting (there are some truly amazing pieces on forums) but have never actually gotten around to doing it. I had a bag of hair from both dogs sitting in my closet for years. I intended on felting it into balls to make into a charm bracelet, but then I lost interest in jewelry making. I threw that out this year when I was cleaning my closet. Then Cindy agreed to make me my pillow and I decided to ask if I could send her some alternate stuffing. Isn't that always the way though, as soon as you clean anything out you suddenly have the perfect use for it!
I am sure you'll manage to collect a lot more fur! I'm still a beginner felter. But I did make them into Xmas tree decorations, and I sent the lady who had my rescue before me a little felted Xmas decoration of that fur. It is so great having a keepsake, I wish I'd thought of it for Shelties past. It's comforting to have a little piece of them with you. Someone was selling a Sheltie fur long cardigan on ebay recently - now that's dedication, think of the years it took to make that!
 
Back
Top