Ears on top

Lahree

Forums Enthusiast
OK, Ellie's ears have a beautiful tip, so I didn't glue her ears down, but I did glue them on top of her head. My questions is this--her left ear is sitting perfect on top of her head. Her right one is slightly off center. Just a tad. This is the first time I have ever done this and it was really hard with a wiggly puppy. We waited until she was sleepy and DH held her in his lap and fed her treats while I took the little hairs and twisted them together with the bonding agent. I got the job done and I thought it looked great for about one minute and then noticed the one ear was slightly off. I tried to get the glue out with the bonding removal agent, but it didn't do anything. So I would have to cut it out. Since it will eventually come unglued anyway and we have months more ahead of us with the gluing, does it need to be perfect now? She is 11 weeks old today.
 
I never had any luck with the twisting and gluing. Instead, I just put a dab of glue on one ear, and pull the other up to meet it and hold them together until it holds.
If all else fails, get some moleskin, cut out pieces for the tip and the ear, punch a hole in the lower ear piece , run a piece of yarn through it, then glue the moleskin to the lower part of the ear, glue the tip down, and tie the pieces of yarn together. This creates less of a mess than the gluing of hair.
 
Uuugh...the god-awful ears!

First off, I would like to say goodluck with the months ahead! It's been 4 months gluing for me...and tonight his one ear started to come unglued, so, of course I had to take them both out so they wouldn't become uneven, because he's still young...almost 7 months. Well, even tho they were folded basically right in half...that's not where the break is. It's so frustrating!! :mad: Uuugh!!

Aaaanyways...yeah, you still have A LOT of time, so, do what you can right now...because you don't know how long it's going to take for the hair to grow back in if you do cut it. And I know that for Caliber he never really had a lot of fur to work with after he lost the fuzz.
 
I never had any luck with the twisting and gluing. Instead, I just put a dab of glue on one ear, and pull the other up to meet it and hold them together until it holds.
If all else fails, get some moleskin, cut out pieces for the tip and the ear, punch a hole in the lower ear piece , run a piece of yarn through it, then glue the moleskin to the lower part of the ear, glue the tip down, and tie the pieces of yarn together. This creates less of a mess than the gluing of hair.

:eek2: If you could have seen my husband and I trying to do a simple procedure like I did today and making a fiasco out of it, what you are suggesting is the equivalent to performing brain surgery! LOL! I really need to find someone who knows what they are doing to help me with Ellie's ears. Bay steps, baby steps! :lol::razz:
 
First off, I would like to say goodluck with the months ahead! It's been 4 months gluing for me...and tonight his one ear started to come unglued, so, of course I had to take them both out so they wouldn't become uneven, because he's still young...almost 7 months. Well, even tho they were folded basically right in half...that's not where the break is. It's so frustrating!! :mad: Uuugh!!

Aaaanyways...yeah, you still have A LOT of time, so, do what you can right now...because you don't know how long it's going to take for the hair to grow back in if you do cut it. And I know that for Caliber he never really had a lot of fur to work with after he lost the fuzz.

Greeeaatttt! Looking forward to it! Not to mention months of potty training still ahead. SIgh. :no:
 
I think your puppy's ears will be fine. You'll need to change it in a couple of weeks anyway. There is a great post by Narmowen called "How I brace my puppies ears". You don't want to cut the hair away when you redo them, and this post will tell you where to get the glue solvent. Your furbaby is so cute!!!
 
I think your puppy's ears will be fine. You'll need to change it in a couple of weeks anyway. There is a great post by Narmowen called "How I brace my puppies ears". You don't want to cut the hair away when you redo them, and this post will tell you where to get the glue solvent. Your furbaby is so cute!!!

Oh thanks, Crystal! I got the solvent that is supposed to remove the glue but it didn't work. :mad: It just made an oily mess on top of Ellie's head.
 
Was it Goo Gone??????? :mad:

No, it was the stuff that is made specifically to get the bonding agent out that I used to glue the ears. The glue is actually the same glue that people who use hair entensions use. It dries rubbery in 30 seconds. Great product, but the remover, no so much. :(
 
Its honestly something that comes with practice. If you dont do it all the time it can be frustrating. I know it was 3 years almost between when i had done it last...I must have sworn I can tell you how many times for the first 2 or 3 ear gluings...but now I look back on it and am like why the heck was I having issues with it? The gluing and twisting method I just could not get right when they are tiny...I ended up using the Japenese tape method and it works wonders...I can email you the directions if youd like. and as their head/ears grow the glue method is easier...I find it too hard to get them perfect when they are tiny with glue and wiggling and not to mention the ungluing....
 
Back
Top