Ears????

It is important if you want the correct ear set, or if you agreed to do it as the breeder requested.
If you keep the ears glued (as a little one) and braced after 8-9 weeks of age, the pups eventually get used to it. It is when you go back and forth between left alone and glued, that they just can't let it be. I just glued a 5 week old litter, and they will never know the difference.
 
Not very important.

If you want to show in conformation, it is. Or, if you want the "proper" earset on a pet. Otherwise, it's a pain that doesn't need to be done, IMO.
 
He sent us home with some Tear Mender. It works well for a couple of hours but Toto scratches it relentlessly until he gets them unglued. We didn't get him until he was 16 weeks old. He is used to having them glued, as his breeder had been glueing them for quite some time. He is now 6 months old. I'm just not sure hnow long I need to continue to glue them.
 
He sent us home with some Tear Mender. It works well for a couple of hours but Toto scratches it relentlessly until he gets them unglued. We didn't get him until he was 16 weeks old. He is used to having them glued, as his breeder had been glueing them for quite some time. He is now 6 months old. I'm just not sure hnow long I need to continue to glue them.

Generally, you can quit after he's done teething (which he should be at 6 months).
 
If your goal is to have a correct ear set, which will frame the face and soften the expression, and you would like the ear set to last the life of the dog, we recommend keeping the ears braced for the first year. Of course it is a personal preference to have a correct (per the standard) ear set, or just ears any which way. Some people don't care about it.
 
We kept McKinley's ears taped till he was 10 months old, and I wish I would have done the last two months. I am concerned about his right ear. It wants to stand up and that would be horrible to have one up and one down!:uhoh:
 
Back
Top