Eating issues

lammb66

Forums Regular
My pup is just about 6 months old. He is starting to be really finicky with his eating. He is gaining weight, a little at a time but still looks rather skinny. We have another Sheltie who gained a lot of weight when our other dog was ill, we didn't realize he was eating most of the food. We have always just left food out. So, we are now feeding both on a schedule and the older one is on a weight-loss plan, he is doing great and has lost slowly so is almost at the recommended weight. However, he wants to eat all of his food and the puppy's. This has made the pup a little skittish when eating. So we started feeding them separately, the pup in his crate or the older dog in the crate but it hasn't helped. Guinness, the pup will not eat unless we either hand feed him or put the food from the bowl onto the floor. I don't want to keep doing this but am worried he is going to start to lose weight. We are gone during the day and leave food in the cage and he sometimes eats it but more often than not it is still there when we get home. He likes someone to be around when he eats but still is just not that interested in food. Any thoughts on this? I would post a picture but for some reason I don't see that as an option.
 
My Layla is a finicky eater as well. My breeder said, put the food down, wait 15 minutes. If the Sheltie hasn't begun eating, remove the food. repeat at next feeding. When he's hungry, he'll eat.

But be sure the food doesn't disagree with him. Layla began to refuse her food. She'd been raised on Eukanuba. She ate it for a while, but started refusing after about a week or two. So I sat there and coaxed her to eat. She ate. then she leaned forward and deposited the whole meal right back on the rug. "I told you it makes me sick, Mamma." So we found a better food! :lol:
 
When my puppy was around 6 months old getting him to eat was like pulling teeth. What I had to do was feed him in his crate and only give him a limited amount of time, about 10-15 minutes since I was usually busy preparing my own meals immediately after feeding the dogs, then the food went away. This actually teaches them they need to eat when the food is presented and not fool around.

Could it result in some skipped meals? Yes. Will it hurt him? No. A healthy dog will not allow himself to starve.

When I was doing this he's not eat, miss a meal or two, eat for a week, decide not to eat, and so on for about 2 months. It was aggravating, frustrating and one of the toughest periods of my little boy's puppyhood. Now, at a 16 months, he eats like a typical Sheltie.

Ultimately you need to set the rules around mealtime or you will be playing this game for a very long time. You've already started this by feeding in the crates. Don't make a fuss about it, just remove the food bowl. Make sure you limit treats during this time because you don't want them to think if they don't eat they will get 'junk food' (aka treats) instead. If you need to give rewards for something, use the kibble.
 
You guys are making me feel better. I don't want to play his game which is why I came here. He is on Iams pupy food and it seems to be fine in terms of not making him ill. He has never thrown up. As for feeding him in the cage, it is actually to prevent the other dog from eating all of his food. He loves the other dog, will not even go outside to the bathroom without his buddy but he gets intimidated by him during meal times. Reilly is a dream dog, except with food - he gets very territorial.
 
I agree that will not starve itself entirely.

But a stressed or food sensitive dog will go off their food.

If you dog is getting finickiy about food, then consider that the pup has food sensitivies or allergies. Chicken or beef proteins or normally the culprits. So consider switching your proteins Sometimes grains are the issue so consider a grain free or limited ingredient diet. But this the easy solutions.

The choices are endless. It will make your eyes spin. I own a pet food store. Whenever these questions come up, I prefer to talk face to face with the dog and pet owner. You just can't diagnose an issue on email. But we have been able to help so many so dog and cat owners by conversation.
 
You are getting some great advice here! I also want to commend you for getting off to a good start: feeding on a schedule and feeding in crates are good policies for any dog.

In the mean time, don't hand-feed him. Follow Silaria's advice to offer food (in the crate, where the older dog can't intimidate him) and take it away after a set period of time. He'll figure it out, and will be fine. At the risk of sounding morbid, I will tell you that it takes a great number of missed meals before a healthy dog would starve; he will be just fine.
 
Chris & Silaria really said it all. My guy is almost seven months now and he is picky. I have changed food types etc and boy would he love to be eating our people food. He has had a check up every month since I got him and his weight is fine, he is healthy. He won't let himself starve. Sometimes at this age, they are too "busy" to eat. Mine is too nosy. He hears a sound or someone moving about and that food is left behind, but he will come back to it. He never hits the "recommended feeding amount"! Once your vet says your dog is doing ok, then its fine. I noticed that my guy seems to eat more if I am in the room, and that is something you mentioned seems to work a little?
 
Great advise. Bailey has always been a picky eater, but would eventually eat. When we adopted Katy he learned he had to eat faster or she wanted his food as well.

I would suggest if it continues talk to your vet about allergies. At a certain point we realized Bailey's issues were no longer him being picky and going off his food for a few days. He needed a change in his food to address his issues.

So, I try the advise about keeping to a feeding schedule and if he really isn't eating then take the next step about trying to see if he has allergies to something in his food.
 
Back
Top