Elijah's gallbladder surgery is 8/7

Sharon7

Moderator
I'm asking for everyone's kind thoughts for my sweet boy. During his first ultrasound scan, which I thought would just be a normal, baseline event, showed a GB that was already 75% full of sludge. He had randomly vomited once in April, then again in June two days before his check-up. We had already arranged for our vet to do the ultrasound along with his wellness visit.

Down the rabbit hole. Labwork showed a slight elevation in one liver test. Everything else normal, including cholesterol (high cholesterol is associated with this problem). Started meds: Ursodiol and Denamarin for liver support.

Off to an Internal Medicine vet, who did an extremely extensive ultrasound: liver, spleen, kidneys, GB, adrenal glands and prostate! Everything else normal.

She thought staying on the medication to see if it helped, and having him scanned monthly (!!!) would be the way to go. I told her no, we knew from several other Sheltie folks that the trajectory for this is one way, which is worse. Ann told me once the GB is 50% + full, it's time for surgery. She agreed it was more of an issue in Shelties. I did appreciate her thoroughness in examining him and discussion.

Off to the surgical vet, board certified, that my vet recommended. What a revelation. I was a hospital RN for over 21 years, and before that a vet tech. I can't believe how far Vet medicine has come. This fabulous young woman surgeon has done a good number of these surgeries, and she does them laparoscopically!!! They only "convert" to an open surgery if they run into issues. She was very confident of a good outcome. Said she rarely sees them at this early stage, usually the dog is already sick, and then the outcome is iffy. But she said it was definitely a "ticking time-bomb" and needs to come out.

Although I am still somewhat scared of course, I left that visit much relieved. I know he's in great hands. It will be August 7, with a 2 night stay in the hospital. It is a major surgery but it's the only way to make sure he has a long healthy life. My friend gave me a surgical suit for him to wear afterwards, and we will get an inflatable cone for him. 2 weeks of crate/pen rest.

I wish so much I could talk to him and prepare him for what's to come. He can be very timid and scared, so 2 nights in a strange hospital place is not up his alley. I know he'll be on pain meds and so maybe he won't be as aware or care much. It was all just so unexpected, and with Faith and Meadow's issues, I was sure hoping Eli would be very healthy for quite a while yet. He just turned 7.
 
I am so incredibly glad you caught this and were proactive, Sharon! This is why I advocate for a baseline ultrasound at age 5. And I am so encouraged to hear this surgery can be done laparoscopically now. My three who have had this surgery were all traditional and this is such a major step forward. I just know Eli will do great...mine are all healthier and happier since their GB surgeries and I bet he'll be the same.

Maybe you can visit him in the hospital while he's there? I'm sure they'll keep him pretty sedated so he won't be nervous. Sending all good wishes and positive thoughts your way next week! :hugs
 
Just got back from his pre-op blood draw. Turns out we know a surgical nurse at this surgery center! She also happens to have Shelties and we've seen her at our dog club's agility events. Anyway, the surgeon also came out to chat and asked us (knowing I'd been an RN and Vet Tech) if we wanted to see one of the surgical suites. To say I was astounded is an understatement. It was beyond impressive. Looks like a human surgical suite. Every modern and techno kind of equipment. She again assured us she was confident it would go well. The surgical nurse said she'd keep a special eye on him for us. I feel encouraged. They are doing everything on a very sophisticated scale.

We are to give him trazadone the night before and morning of, to give him mild sedation. They said that way they've found they need to use much less anesthesia. I said Shelties were usually lightweights in my experience and she said she knew that and would keep it light. We are SO fortunate to have this resource the next town over!
 
Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a successful outcome today Sharon. I can imagine today will be a very stressful day as you wait to hear of news of how Eli is doing! :hugs:hugs
Keep us updated when you hear anything.
 
Aw man Sharon! Guess Eli didn't want to be left out in the medical emergency category!
That is way cool that they can do it laparoscopically! But I'm so sorry it needs to be done and now I think I better get my boys scanned...
I had Piper in yesterday for his checkup and to get the vet to do an ultrasound on him. She’s had one dog with gallbladder issues but it was a Jack Russel so doesn’t understand the necessity of scanning Sheltie’s gallbladder’s. We did blood work (she did a chem 10 to check for any abnormalities in his liver function) and she’s going to call me if the other vet can do the ultrasound otherwise I have to have an outside company do a full abdominal ultrasound that’s almost $500 (but I’ll do it either way). Thing that bugs me is I’m having to PUSH her to do it. I hope that through this I will help to educate her on the importance of ultrasounds and gallbladder disease in Shelties.
When Finnie hurt his hock it took us literally months to figure out what the problem was. Fast forward 3 years and her experience with Finnie helped her diagnose the same thing in another dog quickly. Seeing as how I have 3 lol by the time Blueberry needs an ultrasound my vet will be fully educated on this problem.
 
Back
Top