Encourage Her To Drink More?

OntarioSheltie

Forums Celebrity
It's been almost a month and Sadie hasn't had any diarrhea but the vet food she's on is making her constipated.

She's on a strict diet and isn't allowed to eat or drink anything but her food so the vet suggested that she may need to drink more.

Sadie already drinks quite a bit so how do I encourage her to drink more?

So far I've started putting water in her food. I thought of ice cubes but they only occupy her for a couple of minutes and more water ends up on the floor.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
 
Drink more water

Have you tried using a dropper like you use for medicine. Give her extra water that way. It's force feeding but if it works it's a good thing. I have done this to Kiara every now and again when I think she hasn't had enough fluids. :uhoh: Kia is a poor drinker.:rolleyes2:
 
does that mean no canned pumpkin?? that would help with constipation. the only thing I can think of is exercise her more so she gets thirsty.?
 
No, she can't have anything but her dog food, meaning no beef broth or canned pumpkin.

Its not at the point where I'd want to try force feeding her water either, although I'll definitely keep it in mind...
 
Ask your vet if she can have pedialyte (kids drink.) They have apple flavored, and my dogs would drink the whole thing in one sitting.

Or, can you soak her food in water? (like you would a puppy?)
 
Ask your vet if she can have pedialyte (kids drink.) They have apple flavored, and my dogs would drink the whole thing in one sitting.

Or, can you soak her food in water? (like you would a puppy?)

The vet said couldn't have anything but her own food and water or it would defeat the purpose of the food.

I've been putting water in her food and she drinks it no problem. I think she actually drinks a bit more than the usual dog and wouldn't need to drink more if she wasn't becoming constipated from the vet food.

So frustrating! Poor Sadie is either having massive diarrhea or she's constipated. Poor girl :(
 
Ontario...did the vet tell you what the idea amount of water per day would be? Since everything else is off limits, did your vet suggest maybe administering sub q fluids if he feels she needs more fluids? This can be done at home by you if needed
 
Back
Top