Enlarged Liver :(

copper5228

Forums Enthusiast
So....after a lot of nonsense and testing for a variety of reasons, Dash (age 11, rescued 6.5 years ago...) had an x-ray today which showed he has an enlarged liver. His blood tests say his liver and kidney functions are 100% normal. He does have a tiny (less than 5 mm) bladder stone that we are leaving for the moment, 1 thing at a time... He is scheduled for an ultrasound w/. a specialist Monday afternoon. He is acting, behaving, playing, eating all just fine and he's perky and happy, too. That's the good part. So we're confused as to his liver enlargement! Anyone deal w/ anything like this? I am worried sick but would never let any of the dogs see or feel that. We just lost Copper, age 13.5, in October to Cushing's Disease, and I know IO cannot handle another loss at the moment. Nor can my Timmy. Timmy is my 10 year old biblack, and he and Copper were best buds. Then he and Dash became super pals a long time ago, too. Timmy was very depressed after Copper passed and I worry about how he'd handle another loss so quickly. We do have Bandit, who is 3.5, a recently rescued biblack and they get along well and play, but it isn't the same. Bandit loves Timmy to pieces and Timmy loves Bandit, but not as deeply. Yet....Anyway, looking for anyone who's dealt w/ liver issues...THANK YOU!!!
 
Sorry to hear about Dash's enlarged liver. I really have no information on this subject. Hopefully, some of the other forum members will.

Glad to hear he feels okay and is acting the same as usual. This sounds like a good sign.

Dash is on my prayer list.
 
While I am sure that there are many other causes of liver enlargement the ones I know are exposure to toxins, injury, cushings disease, hepatic hypotension, ingestions of fungus or molds and copper storage disease.
Anything that prevents the liver from cleansing itself of toxins will cause it to enlarge.
Glad to hear you are seeking the advice of a specialist.
 
It is so good that you are having an ultra sound performed, it will be conclusive. We never would have known our own pups liver was on the blink if not for ultra sound.

Once he is tested you will be better able to conclusively decide what if any, action to take.

All good luck,
Keep us posted


Kate paws crossed.
 
Thanks...I am really nervous for this afternoon, not b /c of what the ultrasound may show, but more b/c the specialist is a male vet (Dash is afraid of males, given his abusive past...) and although a female tech from our vet group will be present, I am not allowed in back to be there. :(
 
While I am sure that there are many other causes of liver enlargement the ones I know are exposure to toxins, injury, cushings disease, hepatic hypotension, ingestions of fungus or molds and copper storage disease.
Anything that prevents the liver from cleansing itself of toxins will cause it to enlarge.
Glad to hear you are seeking the advice of a specialist.

Thank you!!! I am crossing my own paws, in hopes it's something we can easily correct, treat or manage. I know Cushing's well, from my Angel Copper having battled it for so long, but would be crushed to start all over again with it so soon. Copper only passed last October....Dash does not display any of the typical symptoms, but I do hope it's something more simple than cancer... Whatever it is, we move forward and deal. My dogs are my heart.
 
We did see the specialist last week, but no ultrasound. He wasn't overly worried about the enlarged liver and felt it wasn't an emergency or even enlarged very much. He was thorough. He suspects hyper parathyroidism, which means a delicate surgery...and for Dash to stay at the vet's for a few days if he does have surgery. I am not happy about that part at all!! :no: :cry:

We're crossing our paws that we get test results today. Did lots of specialized blood tests last week...Still waiting, and Dash is feeling just fine, thankfully!!
 
check the gallbladder, that is what was making my girls liver seem enlarged, it actually wasnt, it was the gallbladder pushing it around. They can see it on Ultrasound. Shelties are prone to GB issues, which my vet was not aware of until I informed him today...
 
Dash's test results are in....But our vet's office faxed them to the specialist, so I have to wait for him to call me. THe enlarged liver was so minimal, and if he does have primary hyper parathyroidism, the ultrasound would just be wasted money, so we're going one step at a time, as Dash is feeling perfectly fine. But the PHPT would explain the high calcium, which would explain the slightly enlarged liver... He does have a bladder stone, but xray did not show any gallstones. Thanks....Keeping paws crossed!! Hoping to get a call soon...
 
Back
Top