Excessive Barking?

nene

Forums Novice
First and foremost let me preface this post by saying this: I love my Sheltie more than anything in this entire world. I'm sure all the Sheltie lovers on this site feel the same way, so you know that I am being very sincere.

Duncan is 2 years old (just turned). He is handsome, sweet, loving, caring, funny, ALWAYS has that Sheltie smile on his face....I can't say enough about him. His personality is one of a kind. When we come home, he wiggles his butt excessively and gives a million kisses. When adult friends come over, especially females, he is "gentleman Duncan". But, when kids walk passed our house or God forbid we encounter another dog on our walk, he...goes....CRAZY!

It's not even barking, it's this barking/terrible anxiety attack/really nasty face/ and extreme jerking on the leash trying. I know with kids he tries to herd them (kind of cute) but when we run into other people on our walk and he goes insane, I get embarrassed. Here I have this sweet, amazing, loving little boy and nobody would believe me because of how he acts.

What to do?! Does anyone else have this problem?! He doesn't bark other than that.
 
I've not experienced this, but there are tons of folks on this site who will have recommendations. I would suggest finding a trainer to consult with. Our local dog school would probably have a technique, teach you, and do walks with you to practice until Duncan settled down.
 
I have a gentleman Duncan, too! He is quite reserved and will sometimes shake if he is too uncomfortable. We've been trying to socialize him quite a bit so he isn't timid. Well, timid is the wrong word. I would say reserved.

First, I recommend the book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt. It has tons of ideas to calm down reactive dogs. I know that a local dog training club even offers class using her methods as their model.

Most of the book relates to agility and dog sports, but this is my twist to work with reactive behaviors:
Basically, you teach calming techniques first. Take Duncan into a non-stimulating environment and rub his ears, back, jaws, etc. You can even treat for blinking, which is a sign of calmness. Once he knows how to calm down, raise the stakes. Take him just to the front yard and do the techniques when a car passes. If he can't handle that, go inside and work next to a window. You can treat for laying down, looking at you, looking calmly at the car, anything you want him to do. Ignore the bad and bring him inside to chill out if he starts up. Once he knows how to calm in the front yard, take him to the corner or some place with light pedestrian traffic. Do the same - stake out a spot and calm him. When he can do this from afar, get closer to the people, ask neighbors to walk near him, walk behind people, in front of them...

This may take months, but exposure and frequent (but short) training spells is the way to go.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
 
ME TOO!!! My little one does the same thing. However she is that way in the house as well (TV, blender and so forth). I am going to try that book!
 
I can somewhat relate to that... Che is not a barker, but he does get over the treshhold fairly easy, he is 8 months now and it gets better but still has ways to go...
Che used to get overly excited when people were interested in him and speak high pitched voice- he would start barking and jumping up... it is getting better now... I am asking him to show a good sit every time we meet a person outside...
When we started rally and agility class few weeks ago, first classes I had hardest time controlling Che- all he wanted to do is sniff, run and he could not remember anything he learn in his puppy and obedience class ... so we read some of the Control unleashed book and did watch me, touch/ target, walk further from the other dogs and see at which distance your pup is feeling calm...
it is getting better, but is a slow process... Some classes were perfect and then last Thur there was that dog that can not shut up and lunges at everyone and then small pup in front of us during the waiting time started lunging in Che's face/ I should have known and moved Che in different line because that pup does that to many dogs/ so Che tolerated couple of attempts but then just lost it and I spent rest of the class calming him down, turning him away from running dogs towards the wall etc... not fun...
you might want to come near the children playground, stay far away for your pup to be comfortable and feed/ clicker treat him machine gun style... next day come close, repeat ad nauseatum...
same goes with dogs... find couple that non reactive, stay far away initially for your pup to be comfy and start treating your pup when he is calm... next day move closer etc...
rent a movie with running kids and barking dogs and play at low during meal times...
 
Last edited:
Honestly if I had REALLY and truly known how much Shelties can bark, I would have educated myself on how to properly deal with it early on or even BEFORE we got Megan!

Our biggest challenge is while we are on walks....she sees a vehicle coming and it's ON!! I primarily walk/jog her in our greenbelt trails, but that just avoids the problem doesn't fix or deal with it :rolleyes2:. She is getting a little bit better with barking in the house while lawn care is being done, but it doesn't take much to set her off.

She will be 10 months on June 25th and I think for her, maturity is helping, exercising and distraction also. It is tiring though, but hang in there!! :o
 
I feel your pain! My Lucy is the same way. She barks at my dad so much he doesn't even want to be in the house with her, I have to put her in the den. It's terrible, because she is an angel when he's not here.

I will check out that book too...thanks for the info.

Good luck with Duncan, from what I've gathered patience and training in spurts will help but it could take a while. I have started ignoring the behavior, not even looking at her or saying a word, she tires out faster and faster now...it's been 6 weeks with Lucy and while she isn't cured completely she is doing a lot better with being around strangers.
 
I know Megan is trying to herd the cars that drive by, but that can be dangerous, how to stop this or at least gain a little control over it?

We try stopping, turning around, treating when she stops trying to chase and bark, but she doesn't stop for more than a few seconds :cool:. By the way, we live in Houston so it is hot, hot, hot here. We go for our walks as early in the am as possible and late evening. Having to stop, redirect, turn around etc in this humid heat is a PAIN to say the least..:rolleyes2:
 
April, my shy, docile, little princess, can bark up a storm at times. She's got a higher pitched bark than Chelsea had, and April's can really cause your head to ring. Especially if a series escapes when she's got her head by your ear. :eek2:

When we first get into the car, and she gets her seatbelt on, she'll start up. Volume FULL-ON. The most I've clocked her at is 37 barks in 30 secs, but I know she does more regularily. That's just what I've timed her at. In the mornings (she goes to work with me) she'll stop just after I get out of the driveway, and going down the street.

In the afternoon, headed home from work, it's another story. She stays pretty good at work, so when she gets in the car headed home it's FULL-ON. And it goes on and on and on. And on. And on. And...well, you get the idea. :smile2:

When she does settle down, if I hit anything like rumble strips, she'll start up. I have a sister in Nova Scotia, and on our way down, we'll hit a set of rumble strips at the Cobequid Pass toll booth. Bark FULL-ON! Then comes the little building where Dad gives the money to someone sitting inside. Bark FULL-ON! Sometimes, some of them give treats, so that deserves a Thank You. Bark FULL-ON!
 
Control Unleashed

Ok where do I get this book? It is out of print now!
I have a gentleman Duncan, too! He is quite reserved and will sometimes shake if he is too uncomfortable. We've been trying to socialize him quite a bit so he isn't timid. Well, timid is the wrong word. I would say reserved.

First, I recommend the book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt. It has tons of ideas to calm down reactive dogs. I know that a local dog training club even offers class using her methods as their model.

Most of the book relates to agility and dog sports, but this is my twist to work with reactive behaviors:
Basically, you teach calming techniques first. Take Duncan into a non-stimulating environment and rub his ears, back, jaws, etc. You can even treat for blinking, which is a sign of calmness. Once he knows how to calm down, raise the stakes. Take him just to the front yard and do the techniques when a car passes. If he can't handle that, go inside and work next to a window. You can treat for laying down, looking at you, looking calmly at the car, anything you want him to do. Ignore the bad and bring him inside to chill out if he starts up. Once he knows how to calm in the front yard, take him to the corner or some place with light pedestrian traffic. Do the same - stake out a spot and calm him. When he can do this from afar, get closer to the people, ask neighbors to walk near him, walk behind people, in front of them...

This may take months, but exposure and frequent (but short) training spells is the way to go.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
 
Back
Top