Fat Old Man

Tabitha

Forums Enthusiast
Hey everyone
Some of you may know that my oldest dog, F-kap, is over weight. He has been on a diet for about a year and is now 30lbs, has lost 18lbs! Which put him at a huge 48lbs! I have seen only very tall shelties get to that weight, he's 17 1/2in. I think his normal weight is around 25, but I can't remember. He still has a bulge on his sides. I measured him around and got 19ins, before it was 34ins. He does have a heavy structure; wide chest, thick strong legs, things like that. I'm not sure how much longer he should be on a diet or how much food I should give him. He eats Purina Pro Plan Weight Management Formula (I'd love to feed them Blue but can't afford it) and gets a 1/2 cup every day. I know I'm underfeeding him but hes not loosing weight otherwise:(! I hate giving him so little but I'm nerves if I increase his food just a little bit he'll shoot right back up to 40 like he did 6 months ago. I'm also planing to get him tested for hypothyroidism in two to three weeks, I think that my be a contributing factor to his weight problem and why it got up so fast and unexpectedly last year. Any help would be appreciated.
Tabs
 
Fat Old Man reply

How old is your Sheltie? I worked for 5 years in a dog food store and learned a great deal about nutrition and the various foods. Depending on his age, I may be able to suggest a better food option that won't break the bank.
 
He's 9 years but did start to show age way to young 4 years ago:(. 2 years after he was fixed.
 
You can add frozen (unsalted) green beans to his food if you're feeling guilty about how much food he is eating. It will help him to feel more full without adding calories.

How much exercise is he getting? I always try to remember it's calories in vs. calories out. So if you aren't feeling like calories in can change, up his calories out and make it a point to add one extra walk, one extra session of fetch every day.

Also, how many treats is he getting? Sometimes we don't consider how much that adds in. You can use his kibble, or even green beans for treats.
 
You can add frozen (unsalted) green beans to his food if you're feeling guilty about how much food he is eating. It will help him to feel more full without adding calories.

How much exercise is he getting? I always try to remember it's calories in vs. calories out. So if you aren't feeling like calories in can change, up his calories out and make it a point to add one extra walk, one extra session of fetch every day.

Also, how many treats is he getting? Sometimes we don't consider how much that adds in. You can use his kibble, or even green beans for treats.

That sounds really good! But would unsalted CANED green beans work? I can't afford fresh veggies for ME but for baby I may be able to do with out a few things:biggrin2:!

He doesn't always get as much exercise as he should but I make sure we do at least 15 minuets of rough play every day.

I don't normally feed him very many treats other than supplements. But on occasion (2 or 3 times a week) he does get a LITTLE bit of table scraps:uhoh:. The only time I give him any is if its salad. His grandpa (my dad) on the other hand will give him cereal, eggs, burrito shells, and PIZZA! When I catch him doing it you can bet I'm mad:dead:!
Thanks for all your help!
Tabs
 
Frozen beans are a good alternative. You can buy a bag for more meals than you would get in a can of beans.

My Dad used to try and slip the dogs treats. I told him that if he was to do that, he would be paying the vet bills. He stopped.

I have Emma on the Blue weight management food with life source bits (a yellow bag). She has lost a couple of pounds on it, which is what she need to do. She loves it.
 
Yes, I use frozen. I have used canned before and it's fine, but the frozen is cheaper and easier (and cleaner!)

I would try to up his exercise, 15 minutes a day isn't much. Can you add another 15 minute session? Or a short walk before you go to work/when you get home?
 
My two love frozen green beans. No salt content. We read salt content all the time for us humans, and its really sad the high content there is in some of the canned products.
 
A bit off the original subject -- sorry Tabitha -- but I'm reading the comment about frozen green beans with interest. I happened to spill some frozen peas on the floor the other day, and Callie acted like they were the best thing she'd ever had to eat as she darted between my feet chasing them around the floor.

Just looking for some guidance as to whether a few peas would hurt to use as a treat??
 
Back
Top