Fatty lumps

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
I know this has been discussed, but I can't seem to find the right info or threads.

I recall reading that if the lumps move around, it's nothing to be alarmed about. Versus if it doesn't move around? Is that right?

Miko has a lof of them, but I found a slightly new one (unsure, can't recall) and it's pretty big, on his rib area, and doesn't move around. I figure as soon as I move, I will take him in for his bi-annual senior blood test and ask about the lumps, but thought I'd ask here until then.

Now that he's almost 13, I hate to say it, but everything is freaking me out.
 
What you posted is generally correct atleast by the vets that I have talked to. Rasha had a few of those on her right side and my vet tested them back in Feb. and told me that there is nothing to worry about. I would have your vet check them the next time you are in and I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not getting any larger. Hope that helps.
 
I think that's generally true, but I think it has to do mainly with location. My Jazz had one on his ribs that did not move at all. I had it checked every year. They asparated fluid from it to check and see if it was fat. It finally grew so large that it had to be removed. It started to impede on his leg movement.
 
I think that's generally true, but I think it has to do mainly with location. My Jazz had one on his ribs that did not move at all. I had it checked every year. They asparated fluid from it to check and see if it was fat. It finally grew so large that it had to be removed. It started to impede on his leg movement.

Y'know, about 5 years ago, Miko had a big lump on his side removed. It was fatty tissue, thank gawd. I remember that it moved though. Funny thing is, this one is on the other side. Poor guy is full of lumps. Most of them move.

Well, I'm going to hope that even if it doesn't move, it's nothing. I made an appointment for Saturday to discuss a handful of things. Seriously, all this just scares me. I am in no way ready for him to go.
 
Our Bandit had a huge lump under his chest that didn't move either. It was there for years and was a fatty tumor. He was loaded with them also. That's probably what Miko's is too. Still, doesn't hurt to check.
 
Nope whether a lump moves are not has nothing to do with whether it is good or bad.

Fatty lumps can be attached to deep tissues such as a rib or sternum and not move, yet slowly or never grow or they can be freely movable and in the SQ area.

A mass cell tumor can be freely movable(in fact most I've seen are) and feel just like a fatty lump but it can be a very bad growth. I had a new client with an older cocker spaniel with 6 soft masses all of them felt like fatty masses with various degrees of attachment. I aspirated them -5 lipoma(fatty masses), 1 grade 2 mass cell tumor.

You can tell a bit by how it feels ,where it is at, what level of the tissue it is in, what it looks like and how fast it is growing. But one nevers knows. Aspiration(sticking a needle in it and removing some cells) will give you an idea of what it is as long as a good sample is collected and the mass sheds cells readily. The advantage is it non evasive , disadvantage is cells might not be representative of the mass. I think it is about 70% accuate. Obviously the best way to know is to biopsy it(big chuck) or take it off.

What I generaly do with my dogs is aspirate it and monitor if it is not growing. If it is growing I take it off. Remember small masses are easier to take off and less traumatic of the patient than large masses. Fatty lumps- I consider removal on indivdual basis too hard to make broad recommendations with them. Generally small not growing I leave them alone.
 
Nope whether a lump moves are not has nothing to do with whether it is good or bad.

Fatty lumps can be attached to deep tissues such as a rib or sternum and not move, yet slowly or never grow or they can be freely movable and in the SQ area.

A mass cell tumor can be freely movable(in fact most I've seen are) and feel just like a fatty lump but it can be a very bad growth. I had a new client with an older cocker spaniel with 6 soft masses all of them felt like fatty masses with various degrees of attachment. I aspirated them -5 lipoma(fatty masses), 1 grade 2 mass cell tumor.

You can tell a bit by how it feels ,where it is at, what level of the tissue it is in, what it looks like and how fast it is growing. But one nevers knows. Aspiration(sticking a needle in it and removing some cells) will give you an idea of what it is as long as a good sample is collected and the mass sheds cells readily. The advantage is it non evasive , disadvantage is cells might not be representative of the mass. I think it is about 70% accuate. Obviously the best way to know is to biopsy it(big chuck) or take it off.

What I generaly do with my dogs is aspirate it and monitor if it is not growing. If it is growing I take it off. Remember small masses are easier to take off and less traumatic of the patient than large masses. Fatty lumps- I consider removal on indivdual basis too hard to make broad recommendations with them. Generally small not growing I leave them alone.


That is great info to be armed with! Thank you for sharing it with us! Hopefully we will all remember this!
 
I agree, thanks Dr Shelli as I was also under the impression that moving = good, stuck fast = bad.

Revel has always been a 'lumpy' dog. When he was about a year old he had a horrible sebaceous cyst on the achilles tendon area of his hind leg. It burst and went away. From time to time he has also had others of these which I keep an eye on, including one on his tail :eek2:. In recent times he has had a wart on his tail which has since disappeared and a larger wart on his hind leg higher up, which also seems to have gone. I notice that he has a couple of smallish fatty lumps which have been there for about a year/18 months on his shoulder and ribs. I am wondering if some dogs are just given to being more 'lumpy' than others? What causes them to form in the first place?

Merlin's predecessor Misty was also a lumpy sheltie, but Merlin and Yogi have never had any.
 
Thanks Dr. Shelli.

I'm more concerned with this one because I honestly can't recall if it was there a year ago or not. I knew I should've made a drawing of where they were and about how big. I keep an eye on most of them to make sure they're not growing. And I know last time I was in, they did aspirate them and they were all just fatty tissue. At Miko's age, my vet said unless it's bothering his movement, we don't want to remove them. I'm fine with that.

The one on his ribs is more worrisome as it seems very large. And like I said, I had one removed that big from the other side years back. Sigh. Poor little guy. All lumpy and bumpy.

I guess I'll find out Saturday what it is (or 70% of what it is). And hope it's nothing major.
 
I agree, thanks Dr Shelli as I was also under the impression that moving = good, stuck fast = bad.

Revel has always been a 'lumpy' dog. When he was about a year old he had a horrible sebaceous cyst on the achilles tendon area of his hind leg. It burst and went away. From time to time he has also had others of these which I keep an eye on, including one on his tail :eek2:. In recent times he has had a wart on his tail which has since disappeared and a larger wart on his hind leg higher up, which also seems to have gone. I notice that he has a couple of smallish fatty lumps which have been there for about a year/18 months on his shoulder and ribs. I am wondering if some dogs are just given to being more 'lumpy' than others? What causes them to form in the first place?

Merlin's predecessor Misty was also a lumpy sheltie, but Merlin and Yogi have never had any.

I think fatty lumps are some what genetic. We tend to se them in certain breeds more than others. Labs for example are prone to alot of lipomas. Dogs who are overweight or obese tend to develop more. I am not sure if this is because there is just more fat present for them to form in or what. Interestingly some lipomas do get smaller when the dog loses weight.

Ember has a small pinpoint sebaccous cyst on her right thigh(it looks like a blackhead) I noticed it a year ago when I was blowing her out with the force airdryer. I get a blob white cystic material out of it every so often. It has not gotten overall bigger so I am leaving ti alone but should it start to grow, off it will come.
 
Back
Top