Feeling like a prisoner lately...

dream2012

Forums Regular
I have a four-year old sheltie who has been a wonderful pet but seems to be unstable at times with certain dogs. He has many friends in the neighborhood, he has playtime with several dogs during the week, but there is a Golden Retriever that he despises. Mind you, there are two other Goldens in the neighborhood he adores and cannot get enough of. I have tried to figure out what sets him off with the one in question. I do remember when he was a puppy, he eagerly pulled on his leash to meet the Golden while being walked by his owners. The owners quickly said, please keep your dog away. I appreciated that because they know their dog well and were giving me a heads-up. My sheltie always attempted to meet him during our walks, but, of course, I pulled him and kept walking. I often wonder if this is the root of the problem or i am over-thinking and dogs, like people, don't like everyone they meet.

Fast forward, this morning we are playing with the Chuck it and retrieving the ball for a good 20 minutes and he likes to run around the house really fast, ball in his mouth, and greeting me on the other side, He notices the Golden walking with his owners and paces back and forth in the front yard ignoring my commands. Then, he darts through the Invisible Fence, growling and attempting to fight. It was scary beyond words because that Golden could have seriously hurt sheltie but my sheltie does not even comprehend that. The strong impulse trumped his being safe. So, here i am wondering what to do next. I was surprised that he did this because for the last nine months he stays with me in the yard, has not escaped even when his dog friends are being walked. They will come up and play in the yards, but my sheltie remains in the yard.

I am puzzled because this is our fourth sheltie and we have never had a sheltie that showed any aggression anytime.This is all new to me. Shelties are usually lovers, many are timid, but not this guy. I am so upset with him and it is upsetting thinking what could have happened. the owners of the dog were understanding and they have been in a similar situation with their dog attacking three Chahuahuas.

He is great in so many ways. He loves to retrieve the tennis ball and will do this for long periods and it wears him out. He is a good eater, has been very healthy and came for a reputable breeder who did all the genetic testing, as well as VWD. I have opted not to neuter him and my vet agreed with me. He is indoors several hours each day and he is never alone in the yard. He is walked daily at least four times.

Any suggestions. Other than fencing the back yard, I feel like a prisoner in my own home. The Invisible Fence worked beautifully with our previous shelties once they "got it" but this dog is incorrigible, relentless, impulsive when he sees this Golden. He will chase squirrels and deer in the backyard but has never escaped. Neighborhood kids come to play with him and he has a fine time chasing and herding them.
 
I don't have real experience with this other than Brooke who took an extreme dislike to a little terrier who went after her once. My lovely sweet girl did not start it but she definitely stood up for herself and ever after she hated that dog. Had to pick her up to get past the other dog on our daily walk. This is the only dog she ever had this reaction to.

IMHO I would never trust an electric fence. And now you know he will bust through it if he really wants to. And other dogs can easily come into your yard, so yes, I would fence. Or never let him off leash in the yard again which isn't much fun. It only takes one time to have a real tragedy on your hands. He does actually sound like a great dog but they do have their quirks. Good luck.
 
I agree too that an invisible fence can be dangerous if your dog isn't afraid plus you can't stop anything from entering. I wonder too if the fact he's not neutered had something to do with it?
My now almost 5 year old went after the neighbors mastiff who was fortunately behind a chain link fence. I never trust him off leash (and he was neutered at 2!).
 
Many years ago I had a Sheltie called Benson (Benny), who absolutely hated this one particular Husky and only this one Husky. He would go ballistic when that dog went past, even though he often couldn't see him. No idea why he hated him so much as they'd never met in person. Tully used to have a 'mortal enemy' too, a little Aussie Terrier who barked at every dog she went past. We walked past that dog most days for 11 years and it was always the same. Bruce and I used to just pick up our respective dogs to pass each other. I wouldn't over think it. Dogs get stuck on things and if you asked your Sheltie I bet he couldn't tell you either. Given that the other dog has had issues, it may be something about the stance or demeanour of the other dog. At any rate, I would not be relying an an electric fence.
 
Two things:
1) Koko recently got attacked by a heeler who busted right through an invisible fence. The owner was shocked his dog was undeterred by the fence that was set on "high". If a dog wants out, he/she will go.
2) Fillion loves everybody--except ONE brown mutt whose yard we passed occasionally. First time we passed him, the dog charged the fence, growling and barking. We pass many, many yards with dogs that do that, but this time Fillion growls and lunges! He's all of 7/8 months old! He never quit hating that dog. Personally, I think they know a bad egg when they see one.

It sounds like you have a wonderful Sheltie. Fence the yard and enjoy your wonderful boy for many years to come!
 
Back
Top