Piper's mom
Moderator
Almost 3 weeks ago Finnie injured something in the area of his right hind leg or back. I say 'something' because even with 2 vet visits we've been unable to determine where exactly he's hurting because he's not limping! He's definitely hurting as when he pushes off to jump or run he suddenly yelps and holds up the hind leg. He's also been on Meloxicam for over a week now with no effect...very frustrating as I want my boy to be his happy self again!
So today I took him to a dog (and human) chiropractor. Very nice guy who put Finnie at ease right away by sitting on the floor with him and then carefully feeling his body. The adjustment was certainly a bit different than what I'm used to but Finnie felt no discomfort. Halfway through he stopped and let Finnie play which allowed him to see how he was moving. By the time he was done Finnie was moving easier with less of a slope to his back, feeling much better and looser.
He's not 100% yet but even at home this evening he was running up the stairs faster than he was before. He did jump on the bed funny this evening and lifted his back leg but didn't yelp, first time in almost 3 weeks.
I also spoke to our vet today and she agreed that Robaxin would help to loosen up any muscle pull he might have so he's on that now(3 x/day). I'm stopping the Meloxicam as I've seen zero improvement since he's been on it.
The chiropractor wants to see him for a follow up in 2-3 weeks so I really really hope his progress continues. Slow or fast doesn't matter, so long as he gains confidence outside again! He doesn't like to walk on the snow so tries to pee as close to the sidewalk as possible (uneven terrain could be hurting him). And the outside steps are a big big problem as he's ran up them so fast (get it over with as fast as possible) he's banged both legs and is now afraid of them as well! Fortunately we've had mild weather because if it was -25 outside he'd never get anything done.
We are supposed to start a Rally class on January 6th but unfortunately Finnie will have to sit out the first couple weeks (Piper said he'd happily take his place...he's such a good big brother lol). Hopefully another two weeks and he'll be his old self again
.
So today I took him to a dog (and human) chiropractor. Very nice guy who put Finnie at ease right away by sitting on the floor with him and then carefully feeling his body. The adjustment was certainly a bit different than what I'm used to but Finnie felt no discomfort. Halfway through he stopped and let Finnie play which allowed him to see how he was moving. By the time he was done Finnie was moving easier with less of a slope to his back, feeling much better and looser.
He's not 100% yet but even at home this evening he was running up the stairs faster than he was before. He did jump on the bed funny this evening and lifted his back leg but didn't yelp, first time in almost 3 weeks.
I also spoke to our vet today and she agreed that Robaxin would help to loosen up any muscle pull he might have so he's on that now(3 x/day). I'm stopping the Meloxicam as I've seen zero improvement since he's been on it.
The chiropractor wants to see him for a follow up in 2-3 weeks so I really really hope his progress continues. Slow or fast doesn't matter, so long as he gains confidence outside again! He doesn't like to walk on the snow so tries to pee as close to the sidewalk as possible (uneven terrain could be hurting him). And the outside steps are a big big problem as he's ran up them so fast (get it over with as fast as possible) he's banged both legs and is now afraid of them as well! Fortunately we've had mild weather because if it was -25 outside he'd never get anything done.
We are supposed to start a Rally class on January 6th but unfortunately Finnie will have to sit out the first couple weeks (Piper said he'd happily take his place...he's such a good big brother lol). Hopefully another two weeks and he'll be his old self again
.
