First RA leg!

2GoodDogs

Forums Enthusiast
I took Flyer to the Conyers kennel club show yesterday to see how he would do in Rally Advanced. This was his first big venue, where conformation and obedience and vendors made quite a busy and distracting environment. The boy would have benefited by arriving early morning and getting settled in a bit.

Do you know what it feels like to light a firecracker and the anticipation you will blow off your hand?
That's what it felt like ... :)

The course map was no help either. Start, to first sign. Sit. Forward FAST... well, read that as BLAST OFF!

let's just say, 84 and 3rd place out of 3 qualifiers. ...

I love my dog, next one I name will be POKEY. :D
 
Congrats:yes:
84 is higher than 70- at least he didn't bark the whole course unlike a certain other sheltie that we know:winkgrin:
 
I put the dogs in the match last night, Justus barked the entire excellent course and lost 7 points because of it. I've never heard such non-stop barking from him! It was embarrassing! Flyer only barked once, but finished right when supposed to go left, so we had a 3 point deduction in advanced, earning him a 1st place match ribbon with a 97. :)

Justus has to be quiet or we just might forget about going to the Classic in Orlando... barking dogs, sigh. It didn't used to be a problem for him.
I wonder if I set it up and walk him off the course/ring will work...
 
I put the dogs in the match last night, Justus barked the entire excellent course and lost 7 points because of it. I've never heard such non-stop barking from him! It was embarrassing! Flyer only barked once, but finished right when supposed to go left, so we had a 3 point deduction in advanced, earning him a 1st place match ribbon with a 97. :)

Justus has to be quiet or we just might forget about going to the Classic in Orlando... barking dogs, sigh. It didn't used to be a problem for him.
I wonder if I set it up and walk him off the course/ring will work...

I could use some tips on getting the barking under control- especially during/after the fast
either there or the jumps in rally- that's where Cran usually loses it.
Dixie is normally very quiet in public so not sure why she had that barking meltdown in SC.
I have about decided to only enter her in outdoor trials but we might give the PA trial another shot. she wasn't as bad there as other indoor venues and we only tried the one class there...
 
I put the dogs in the match last night, Justus barked the entire excellent course and lost 7 points because of it. I've never heard such non-stop barking from him! It was embarrassing! Flyer only barked once, but finished right when supposed to go left, so we had a 3 point deduction in advanced, earning him a 1st place match ribbon with a 97. :)

Justus has to be quiet or we just might forget about going to the Classic in Orlando... barking dogs, sigh. It didn't used to be a problem for him.
I wonder if I set it up and walk him off the course/ring will work...

I could use some tips on getting the barking under control- especially during/after the fast
either there or the jumps in rally- that's where Cran usually loses it.
Dixie is normally very quiet in public so not sure why she had that barking meltdown in SC.
I have about decided to only enter her in outdoor trials but we might give the PA trial another shot. she wasn't as bad there as other indoor venues and we only tried the one class there...
 
It's a puzzle, the barking! Is it an emotional thing for the sheltie? Here's some of the things I'm hearing when he barks...

"Stupid person, that wasn't right"
"Hey you made me mess up"
"Move it EWE, faster"
"Where's MY COOKIE"
"If you would tell me where we are going"
and ....
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
or ...
YIPPEEEEEE!

Sigh. Sheltie linguistics, anyone have any input?
 
It's a puzzle, the barking! Is it an emotional thing for the sheltie? Here's some of the things I'm hearing when he barks...

"Stupid person, that wasn't right"
"Hey you made me mess up"
"Move it EWE, faster"
"Where's MY COOKIE"
"If you would tell me where we are going"
and ....
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
or ...
YIPPEEEEEE!

Sigh. Sheltie linguistics, anyone have any input?
I have heard all of those too:gaah
 
2nd RA Leg, 99 and 1st! Yippee, that's more like it! AND.. no barking! One little woof when I slammed into a halt, but it didn't get a deduction. Yay!
What worked was arriving at 7:30 a.m. for a 2:30 ring time, a 30 minute run in the park chasing tennis balls, and the promise of a cheeseburger on the way home. It worked. ;)

I think I'll enter in November and get this RA title done, if we get lucky, and enter 2 days, we might get qualifying scores for the National... I'm feeling lucky...

Oh so cool, we had a sheltie team in Rally, (3 Shelties, 1 Aussie) and the scores were 99. 100, 100, 92 for 1st place in the morning trial, and 98, 100, 100, 97 for the afternoon team trial, and another 1st place!!! Woo hoo!!!

Now I'm trying to build an all sheltie team for obedience....
 
Back
Top