Fleas on newborn kittens!

JessicaR

Forums Enthusiast
As I mentioned before, Romeo came to me with a flea problem, now everyone has a flea problem :mad: I took in a stray pregnant cat almost a month ago. She give birth on Saturday. I used frontline on her to take care of the fleas she had as soon as she came in. I also treated the yard and house before she gave birth. The kittens have fleas on them and I dont know what to do. I know they are too young for flea control, but I have seen fleas on them. I have tried just picking them off, but mamma kitty isnt too happy about me holding her kittens. She gets upset fast, and I dont want to make her too mad. I was thinking of bombing the house again but I cant do that with the kittens being so young and the vet said not to disturb them too much so as not to upset mom or she could kill them. I just dont know what to do! The vet said I could give mom some more fleas control in 3 weeks and hope that it will help with the kittens. Worse comes to worse the kittens will need a bath, which is not ideal with them being so young.

I really really hate fleas! I have never seen fleas so bad, my vet said it is because we are having a hotter than normal summer with lots of humidity lots of people are complaining of fleas this year! I now have to go back to the vets and get more frontline spray for the furnature and dog beds. I do not like using this crap ever sense my oldest sheltie, Pepper had a seizure after we put flea control on her.
 
Not too much you can do. Bathing is the only way I know to get rid of fleas on kittens too young for flea preventative. But that is very risky in such young kittens. Like you said don't want mom upset. But on the other hand fleas can make young kittens anemic fast. JUst keep washing the bedding and hope the preventative on mom will take care of them.
 
Sounds like your in a bit of a rough spot. I'd verify with a vet, but I think you could use some food grade diatomaceous earth to deal with the flea problem on the kittens. Rubbing it in their fur would probably give the best results, it shouldn't hurt the kittens at all and it will kill the fleas by dehydrating them.

Keep it out of their eyes though.

Here is a website with some info for you: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_fleas.html
 
Last edited:
I have been using a flea comb and putting them in soapy water. As long as I do it a little bit at a time while I give her some canned food she seems to be ok. But let one of her babies meow and she starts growling and will try to pick the kitten up. I got a total of 11 fleas off the babies this afternoon. :eek2:

I can ask about the diatomaceous earth for the kittens. Even if I cant use it on them I can always use it on mom and the dogs.
 
I've never washed a newborn kitten...
But often when I take babies in, I'll put some non-ultra JOY on them and in a little basin of lukewarm water. I bathe them and then wrap them in warm towels and rub them until they dry. I keep the house warm that day and try to minimize chill.

I've only had one that got a little cold after it. So, that might be an option a little later.

If we're talking justjustborn...
I'd (as gross as it sounds) just wait a week or two. Kill what you see manually and then give them a bath.

Also when you're removing the kittens, wrap them in a thick towel (kind of like swaddling a baby) but leave the little head out. If you move slowly and don't raise them from the ground too quickly, they usually will not cry out. The towel lets them feel like they have sturdy footing/are safe. Just holding them in your hands will almost always result in meows.
 
Last edited:
I can ask about the diatomaceous earth for the kittens. Even if I cant use it on them I can always use it on mom and the dogs.

Also you can use it on your carpets or wherever you are keeping the kittens to prevent an infestation. I think you can sprinkle it on the carpets and then (maybe the next day or something, vacuum it up. I would google it and see what you come up with.
 
They are getting bigger! they are 4 days old now and mom is starting to trust me a little more. I have been able to comb them out everyday, and they are all eating good and gaining weight. Momma cat is a good mom considering the fact thast the vet thinks she is under a year old, and the trauma of being lost, or more likely dumped by stupid people :mad:
 
I'm glad to hear that mom and kitties are doing well. Fleas are huge nuisance at any time, let alone when they're feasting on newborn kittens. How distressing!

Keep us posted on their progress! :smile2:
 
Back
Top