Fleas!!!!

Piper's mom

Moderator
I am so angry (more p o’d than anything)…patting Piper this morning and I saw a bug on him and my brain went hmmmmm what??? Started moving the fur (this was on his head) and I saw more. Checked Blueberry and same. Didn’t check Finnie because at that point I knew.
Went to the pet store and bought some Natures Specialty need oil shampoo and now I’m going to clean the dogs. Then I’ll blow them outside and apply some diatomaceous earth to their coats.
Then my cleaning of the house will start! I’ve already stripped the beds and I may take the carpets outside.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
 
Oh boy, I feel for you. Most of the year we keep fleas under control by using lufenuron combined with nitenpyram (generic for Program and Capstar). It's a monthly pill but works by making fleas sterile, eventually getting them under control in your environment. It isn't a poison type thing, it's a chitin inhibitor. The nitenpyram kills fleas but is only in their system for 24 hours.

During the summer months though, I am forced to use Credelio for both fleas and ticks. It works amazingly well. I've never had much luck with topicals.
Make sure you wash all dog bedding, as well. Good luck.
 
Oh boy, I feel for you. Most of the year we keep fleas under control by using lufenuron combined with nitenpyram (generic for Program and Capstar). It's a monthly pill but works by making fleas sterile, eventually getting them under control in your environment. It isn't a poison type thing, it's a chitin inhibitor. The nitenpyram kills fleas but is only in their system for 24 hours.

During the summer months though, I am forced to use Credelio for both fleas and ticks. It works amazingly well. I've never had much luck with topicals.
Make sure you wash all dog bedding, as well. Good luck.
So the lufenuron where do you buy that Sharon…from the vet? I was thinking of treating Piper and Finnie but that might be something I could give to Blueberry.
Piper and Finnie I was considering using a preventative at least to get this under control.
And our bedding will be washed as well! I only have area carpets upstairs and that one will be going outside (after I move my mattress and frame out of the way) and then a major clean (I’m going to spray my baseboards with a full strength antibacterial cleaner that has lemon in it. If nothing else my house will be very clean haha.
And I was going to have a relaxing day today:lol::gaah:gaah:gaah
Two dogs washed then the brushing and then I’m going to blow them outside.
 
Oh Lisa, what a bummer! Not to mention a challenge. Is there any chance you can leave your house for a day and flea bomb it? That's the most effective way to get them out that I know.

As for the pups, definitely preventatives...I'm not familiar with the ones Sharon suggested but sounds like it works. We've used Nexguard here and some people say Revolution works too but I haven't ever used that. I would definitely start adding a bit of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water. They might not like it at first but it will repel the little suckers from the inside. Good luck!!!
 
Oh Lisa, what a bummer! Not to mention a challenge. Is there any chance you can leave your house for a day and flea bomb it? That's the most effective way to get them out that I know.

As for the pups, definitely preventatives...I'm not familiar with the ones Sharon suggested but sounds like it works. We've used Nexguard here and some people say Revolution works too but I haven't ever used that. I would definitely start adding a bit of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water. They might not like it at first but it will repel the little suckers from the inside. Good luck!!!
Hmmm apple cider vinegar is good for everything isn’t it lol? How much…teaspoon or more?
Not sure about a flea bomb…how long do you leave it for and do the dogs stay home or not? Also where would you get a flea bomb?
 
Any hardware type store should have flea bombs, but it isn't a pleasant way to do things - I worry about residue left behind. But hey, remember "the good old days" when we used to flea dip our dogs with some really noxious stuff???

I get my lufenuron at https://petsneedmeds.com It is a pharmacist who makes the stuff, I've actually talked to him, he's in California. It used to be a product the vets sold called Program, then they stopped making it. I used it for many years. It does NOT kill fleas, just makes them not be able to reproduce. That's why you add the nitenpyram to actually kill them. So less toxic to use IMHO. But summer months are intense, so the Credelio works very quickly and reliably, and I've not had any dogs react badly to it. You can get that at a vet or from Chewy with a prescription.

The trick is you have to treat environment and the dogs as well for long term control.
 
Ya I’m not sure about using a flea bomb…even Orkin recommends treating the dogs plus the flea bomb misses areas and leaves a residue on everything. Only problem is I can’t treat Blueberry because of her past history. I’ll talk to the vet tomorrow.
 
You'd use one teaspoon of ACV a day in the dogs' drinking water. It also prevents bacterial infections and bolsters immunity so good for several things.

To use a flea fogger, you'd have to leave the house with the dogs for whatever period of time it says on the label. This might tell you more.
 
You'd use one teaspoon of ACV a day in the dogs' drinking water. It also prevents bacterial infections and bolsters immunity so good for several things.

To use a flea fogger, you'd have to leave the house with the dogs for whatever period of time it says on the label. This might tell you more.
How do you know when you’ve got them all? Lol
If I hadn’t seen them on the dogs today I’d never have known! And here’s a question for you…could I have them in my hair? I actually thought about using the dog’s shampoo with the neem oil:ROFLMAO:.
I don’t have an itchy scalp or anything else for that matter lol but you never know!
 
Back
Top