Forgot to teach watch ahead NOT the handler...

Toffee's Mom

Forums Sage
Uhm
Yes, Ooops?
i was working on lead out and lead out pivots.. and realized my dog does NOT look at the jump, and omg a straight lead out is fine, as it seems Toffee is getting the idea of his line..
My trainer set up a simple pinwheel (or so I thought) and Toffee could not get it. He kept ignoring that first jump, and took a direct line to me... Now we worked on straight lead-outs, the week before with no problems... He seriously is no good with a lateral lead out?? I was like omg are you KIDDING me, right now?

So I instead I was able to waste seconds to be calling him off a tire and the second try I had to do a front cross instead of lateral lead outs...

I am such a beginner!!!!
Now I realized what a mistake that is that I never really trained for him to look at the jump or look ahead of him...
any good and quick suggestions?? lol

I have just tonight gone back to basic and since I don't have a jumpd right now at home, just clicked and treated for looking ahead and away from me as a first step.
What do you guys think?
 
Last edited:
It's your basic focus forward exercises you need to practice from the One Jump DVD. We started with throwing a toy ahead or placing a target with a treat infront of the dog. You would stand at the same level as the treat/toy. The second the dog looked away from you to the toy/treat you release the dog to the treat/toy. You intermix this with going back to the dog and treating from the front for holding the sit and looking forward. They you start moving more and more lateral away from the toy/treat to make it more obvious what he has to do. You do this on the flat, so no jumps required! :wink2:
 
I realized that I had done the same thing with Diva. We were working on distance in class and she would take the line straight to me on every lead out. I never really had to teach Ember or Justice this because I already had a go out and distance jumping from obedience. I can easily push Ember to any place I wanted her to go. In fact, she pushes better than she pulls. Strange I know but that's my Ember. Always different.:rolleyes2:

I have the One Jump video that Ania suggests and I was making good progress when winter hit. I really have no place indoors at my house to practice and it stinks.
 
i would suggest teaching forward and lateral sends. i don't mean distance work, as there's a difference between distance and forward and lateral sends. i can explain more when i get home from work if needed
 
Yes, you guys are correct.
I agree Stacey, I am learning that...
Any further insight when you get home from work is appreciated :)
So you go right ahead LOL

Mainly I am saying how I didn't get it before what's the big deal, he would always take the first jump. He's focused on me, so I am ok with that :rolleyes2:But now omg wth was I thinking not to teach it?
lol
 
It's your basic focus forward exercises you need to practice from the One Jump DVD. We started with throwing a toy ahead or placing a target with a treat infront of the dog. You would stand at the same level as the treat/toy. The second the dog looked away from you to the toy/treat you release the dog to the treat/toy. You intermix this with going back to the dog and treating from the front for holding the sit and looking forward. They you start moving more and more lateral away from the toy/treat to make it more obvious what he has to do. You do this on the flat, so no jumps required! :wink2:

Will continue this tonight...
I started last night inside.. I think he may have got the idea... but I was thinking he seems to be breaking his stays more now.. so this way you explain it should help that, I think!!
 
i would suggest teaching forward and lateral sends. i don't mean distance work, as there's a difference between distance and forward and lateral sends. i can explain more when i get home from work if needed

Although this is what I would do also :smile2:, I don't think it's compatible with the system Toffee's mom is using. It's been awhile, but lateral sends don't really exist in the Derrett system the way you and I would use them. (although lateral motion will always exist, the placement and significance with GD is completely different)
 
It's your basic focus forward exercises you need to practice from the One Jump DVD. We started with throwing a toy ahead or placing a target with a treat infront of the dog. You would stand at the same level as the treat/toy. The second the dog looked away from you to the toy/treat you release the dog to the treat/toy. You intermix this with going back to the dog and treating from the front for holding the sit and looking forward. They you start moving more and more lateral away from the toy/treat to make it more obvious what he has to do. You do this on the flat, so no jumps required! :wink2:

This is what I would do :)
 
Back
Top