Gavin and I are going backpacking this weekend...

Cindy

Premium Member
Gavin hasn't been on a serious trip for over 5 years, before he had his cancer/surgeries/radiation.
This weekend is going to be a shirt trip to see how he does.
My biggest concerns are heat (he is almost 12) and how is paw holds up.
His paw was radiated to treat his cancer and is mostly hairless. As a result, the skin is more sensitive and his pads and paw in general gets cuts more easily. He has had pratise walks with his booties on and has done well. He's also done practise hikes for 2 1/2 hours as well.

The hike in (and out) is about 9 miles with lots of lakes. The lakes are a must to help him cool down. I am hoping we get most of the hiking done in the morning before it warms up (mid 70s are the high) and he will definitely not be wearing a pack, just a ruffwear harness

Here's to hoping I won't be carrying a 35 lb dog out in my backpack!
 
you'll both do great- take as many breaks as you need:yes:
and take lots of pix as I'm betting the scenery will be nice:fl
 
Good luck! I think everything will go just fine and you will both enjoy it. Spirit and Skylar said they are slightly envious because it is 90+ degrees here and a hike at any time of day is out of the question.
 
I wish you both a really good trip, looking forward to seeing pictures of a happy Cavin on tour :fl
 
Have a great trip! You are so in tune with Gavin, I'm sure it will go well. Good to hear from you again.
 
We hiked a bit of the grand canyon trail over winter and he did great, but my car was always at most 2 miles away so it didn't feel as adventurous.
And it was nice and cold for my little furball :)
 
So we made it back all safe and sound...We are in the middle of a heat wave here in Northern California. It was a lot hotter than planned, so Gavin did end up struggling around noon. Thankfully we made it to a lake to set up camp, and he slept for hours straight. The next day we got up extra early and made it out by 11AM to try and beat the heat, but it was still
darn hot! I do need to buy smaller boots for Gavin, as the ones he has are just too big.

<https://clkreder.shutterfly.com/3725>
 
Cindy, so glad to hear you and Gavin made it back safe and sound!

Such a beautiful environment to enjoy with your best bud!
 
Cindy, thank you for the nice pic.
It must be a great experience to take such a camping trip with your best friend in such a landscape :yes:

I'm not a little envious, no not at all :lol:

Our little lovely country does not have such a nature, we have a pleasant warmth in the summer - everywhere short to the sea and our landscape is always green, but very "flat" :biggrin2:
 
I am so happy you were able to et Gavin out to join you on your backpacking trip! I know he had a glorious time. We took Bitsy Boodle this week, too -- and she loved it!!
 
Back
Top