Genetic testing kits

That's ok. I been informed that Ember can't possible be a sheltie because shelties don't come in that color(bi blue) and they aren't that small(13") and then when I tried to explain, I got argued with. The person didn't know what she was but she couldn't be a sheltie. Because she knew shelties. :rolleyes2: Um, OK

I get something similar with Duncan. The first time I took him out in public (to a doggie function with booths and such), he was just 14 weeks old or so and I held him the whole time, didn't let him nose-to-nose for lack of his last vaccines, and only let a few people pet him, I actually had a raging woman come up to me and yell, "Why did you steal that puppy away from his mother SO young?!?!"
I was so flabergasted that I replied, "He's 14 weeks old..." And she replied, "No Collie pup is THAT little." When I tried to explain that he was a Sheltie, she looked down her nose at me and said something snide about not bringing a puppy in public. It isn't like I was letting anyone near him. Oh and apparently she KNEW he was a collie because of his "perfect sable" markings. Really, lady? I wish I could show her 12.5" 11.6 lb Duncan now! People still think he is a Collie puppy or a "miniature Sheltie." Now that we have Abbie, though, I can sort of sympathize with that last one. She is huge - over 17"!

Speaking of Abbie, I am conflicted about her breed. I know that she is some Sheltie, possibly even full Sheltie. However, the shape of her ears to me looks a little Border Collie - they kind of point and a heavy on the tips. I do think that if we get her into agility (sometime in the probably distant future), she will have to compete against Borders, while Duncan would be in a different class. (Good for marital equilibrium, then - no competing with each other!) Would any of these tests be able to differentiate between herding breeds? And do they always come up mix, even when purebred dogs are tested?
 
Border Collies for sure can be bi blue. Corgis. I'm not sure but maybe Aussies. They may not I never seen one. But I wouldn't argue with an Aussie person that told me they didn't :smile2: Collies do not carry the bi gene.

Aussies do, there are several black and white ones up here. I have never seen a bi-black merle in an Aussie, though.
 
Back
Top