Glucosamine????

Brandy's Mom

Forums Enthusiast
Is there a time when you should begin glucosamine supplements? Is it necessary for all dogs? Brandy's still on puppy food, but I will be transitioning her to an adult food in the next couple of months. My last furry had degenerative joint disease from a young age, so she was on them from like age 4 on. I'm just wondering because our shelties like to run and herd a lot, so I want to make sure I'm taking good care of her joints from the get go. Thanks for any thoughts.
 
My veterinary specialist put Barkley on it at 6 months, but that was because he was lame from Lyme disease. He's been on it ever since and he's 4 now. I put Pixie on it at 4 also. Most veterinary thinking is to begin it younger than previously thought, which was around age 7. It doesn't hurt them and could circumvent later problems.

I'd use a good canine supplement though, like Vibrant Pets Joint & Muscle or Springtime's joint supplement...not one made for humans.
 
We started giving glucosamine once our dogs turned one. We also use chicken feet sometimes (they're cheap).

I only supplement because our dogs are so active--we do agility 4-5 times a week.
 
My Chloe is on Cosequin at 2 1/2 as a result of having Lymes disease and suffering from some residual effect from it.
 
I get mine at the grocery store. Do you have any foreign stores in your area like hispanic or asian grocery stores? I always find them there.
 
Absolutely do not give a dog joint supplements until they have stop growing.
When the joints are still growing adding a supplement can lead to an increase the risk of malformations.

I have a young dog with joint disease and the specialist said this is considered to be a major factor in the increase in joint disease amongst young dogs (i dont think supplements caused his problem - have no idea what did). I have done a lot of research since then and found this is the common view amongst vets - which is why it upsets me that joint supplements are not required to carry warnings. The only one I have seen with a warning is produced by a vet. Although many large breed puppy kibble which used to contain joint supplements have now discontinued its use.

There are exceptions - but it should only be given on veterinary advice. As Ann mentioned some vets can recommend giving it to a growing dog because of some other underlying problems.

So I would suggest waiting until your pup has stopped growing then its not a problem and can help maintain healthy joints.
 
Back
Top