Glueing ears- instructions

Sumac3890

Forums Sage
Help! Gluing tomorrow! Which is way is best?

Tomorrow my groomer and I are gluing Callan's ears. I finally decided to go ahead as his ears ars are starting to fly (he is 4 months today). Of course, now that I decided, his ears are tipping nicely today, thank you! :rolleyes2: go figure!

Anyway, I'm torn between several techniques.

1) Ann's technique where you brush up the fur in front of the ear and put the glue on the outside tip of the ear so that you are gluing the ear behind that tuft of hair

2). The opposite, where you glue on the inside tip of the ear and put the ear tip over the tuft of hair rather than behind.

And do you brace between the ears first or after tipping? :confused2::gaah

And then finally, I was reading today about simply weighing the ears with speed sew and tungsten powder. What are thoughts about that. I recognize that wont correct the set between the ears but sure seems easier!

Ps. My first Sheltie was when I was 8 years old. The breeder recommended putting chewing gum on the tips! Now that's easy! Anybody doing that anymore?
 
Barb ~ I never glue the hair on the outside of the ear to the tuft of hair. You run the risk of pulling hair off the outside if you do that, and then your puppy has a bald spot on the outside of his ear.

Always, always glue the hair on the inside tip to the tuft. Pull the ear down in front of the tuft. Put your finger with the spot of glue on it behind the tuft and press the inside of the tip where there's hair to the tuft. The glue will come through the tuft and hold the ear that way, and if puppy pulls the ear out, the worst that will happen is that he will take a bit of hair from the tuft or the inside.

The tungsten is used by people in shows who need a dog's ears to tip but that's a tricky business. Judges are very savvy and run their hands over the ears to check for those things in most cases. It's not something I would ever attempt. I don't know what the advantage might be to doing that for every day, because it doesn't last for more than a day.
 
Sorry, I read the instructions wrong....it was another site that suggested gluing outside ear to inside tuft of hair...so confusing!
 
No problem, it IS confusing! And reading directions makes it sound much harder than it is. Trust me, after you do it once or twice it's a piece of cake. You'll find you can do ears in 5 minutes -- after 10 or 15 to get the old glue out...:rolleyes2:
 
Operation successfull! We wrapped him in a towel so he couldn't squirm, and done in 5 minutes! No fuss!

We may have tipped them too much down, though, and may not have bridged them close enough, but that can be fixed next time. Sure helps when you have your groomer with steady hands and confidence dealing with dogs.
 
My breeder saw this picture on my facebook and was not happy at all.

I didn't think it was all that bad, though I recognize maybe a little too much tip, and maybe not enough bridging. I've asked her to explain what's wrong but all I get is her insisting that I drive out an hour there and and an hour back for her to correct.

Is this really so bad?
 

Attachments

  • Callan 16 weeks.jpg
    Callan 16 weeks.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 120
Barb,

It's hard to tell precisely from the pic, but it looks like the ear is glued more center to down. It's best done tip to the inside edge rather than the center, and brace them up with your glue bridge in the middle. Having gone through this recently with Fletcher, I understand the frustration of "those pesky ears".
 
Back
Top