Glueing ears- instructions

around a month is typical give or take a week, and honestly driving an hour is really not that big of a deal. and think of it this way you'll have to do it what 6 or 7 more times and then you have a beautiful expression for the rest of their life..kind of puts it in perspective.

using Japanese tape, we got several weeks but never more than a week with just glue......
I did drive an hour for class and ear gluing when Cran was a puppy- Jan through Aug so we didn't go a full year for him. but he also didn't have anyone chewing on his head...:rolleyes2:
 
There are so many variables for how long it stays. It seems to depend on the dog, the circumstances (other dogs, rubbing, rough play etc.), how clean the ear is if you tape or how much hair you get if it's glue. Sometimes my dogs' ears last a month, sometimes barely a day. If all the stars align and I'm lucky, the average is a month. As the puppy gets older, it tends to stay longer I think.
 
Zoey has been with us almost a month and one ear came unglued, had a friend redo them then the other day the other one came undone. So last night we redid both of them. We will see how long this last.
 
@Lightplum....it's actually more like an hour and a half each way.

Bottom line is that I'm not doing the drive. I'll give the glueing another week, then take it out and try again. Now I have a better handle on the process. (It has been 6 years and I was pretty nervous so just wanted it done.). I think though I might do the gluing myself rather than my groomer. Get David to hold pup.
 
There are so many variables for how long it stays. It seems to depend on the dog, the circumstances (other dogs, rubbing, rough play etc.), how clean the ear is if you tape or how much hair you get if it's glue. Sometimes my dogs' ears last a month, sometimes barely a day. If all the stars align and I'm lucky, the average is a month. As the puppy gets older, it tends to stay longer I think.

Not that I know anything, but that sounds right to me?
I assume the gluing needs to be adjusted more when they are young to allow for growth. Once they get older growth slows down so that makes sense to me.

I do think if you want perfectly tipped ears, I think it's best and worth it to have the breeder with experience do it. I guess it all depends how bad you want/need it :D
 
Since Vader's breeder is either a plane ride or 13 hour drive away, I've been gluing his ears myself. I tried Japanese tape, but prefer glue. I use Tear Mender and Detachol to remove the glue. Fortunately, when I picked him up Tricia gave me a quick gluing tutorial. Now that he is 5-1/2 months old, I only need to keep the tips glued down. His ears are nicely on top of his head because I kept them pulled up and glued until about a week ago.
 
At what age should I start gluing? My Trace had his glued when I got him, at 9 weeks. From what I've read here it seems like people wait until the pup is a little older?
 
I think Tricia started gluing Vader's ears when he was 4-5 weeks. Since 8-10 weeks the earliest it seems like you can get a Sheltie puppy, you certainly should be gluing or taping when you bring the pup home.
 
I pull them in at 6-7 weeks and keep them taped until they are around a year. more or less depending on how they look.

This is what we do. We put them up at 6 weeks or 7 weeks. We use glue and go until they look good. we never wait until the ears start going bad to start glueing because it is something that works best of you are proactive. Usually we dont need the middle brace after 5 months but if they are low or wide we continue. Birch was the longest of my puppies and he was done at 10 months. Ember was blessed with perfect ears and was done at 6 months.
 
Back
Top