Greenies or NO greenies

emmygirl

Forums Enthusiast
My last sheltie (Emmy) used to love the Greenies. Does anyone else use them? What age would you suggest starting? Do you know any problems?
 
Greenies are a high-debate item. I've never had any trouble with them, but I heard that there were some issues with the "old" formula. My furkids love 'em, but they're really expensive.
 
I heard with the 'old' formula that a number of dogs got pieces lodged in their throats and choked to death. I've not heard of any problems with the new formula, but I've chosen to stay away from them. My girls are doing very well with raw hide, and of course I supervise them when they're chewing.
 
I used to give greenies to my dogs but then I heard of the choking hazzard so I don't give them anymore. My dogs did love them though.
 
I talked to an actual rep from that company when she asked me the loaded question "do you feed greenies?" I said no because of the chocking hazard and then she launched into her sales pitch about changes in the formula...blah, blah, blah and gave me a couple of samples to take home. My boys liked them. However, I stay away from them simply because I don't like the ingredients, made me cringe. I mean, I'm pretty fussy about the quality of food they eat, so why should I lower my standards for treats?

We stick to carrots and other crunchy veggies in my house. They love the crunchy noise and it's cheaper than greenies.
 
Greenies didn't actually change the formula much at all. The reason they are under so much scrutiny is due to the fact that they are completely plant based and NOT digestable. If your dog will chew them into small pieces you'll be fine, if your dog is wolfer like mine I'd stay away from it. The reason being is that if they swollow too large a piece to pass there have been issues with foreign bodies and dogs ending up needing a gastrotomy and or multiple enterotomies to get rid of the blockage.

There is another dental chew called Tartar Shield I'll have to get the website I can't think of it offhand. I like Tartar Shield a lot because they have a variety of options including biscuits and broken down chews such as the greenies. If your dog will chew the greenies up though you should be ok!
 
I used to give them to the girls and they loved them. Then Katie would vomit up small pieces of them, but the worst was a dear friend had a sheltie almost die from what they feel was a greenie getting stuck and got her bowels all twisted. She was one sick girl and when she finally pooped she had a big blow out the greenie came out in chuncks.
 
My last sheltie (Emmy) used to love the Greenies. Does anyone else use them? What age would you suggest starting? Do you know any problems?

I have never used them,in all my years of having pets. I pretty much stay to homemade treats,although just a bit ago,I did place an order thru Merricks,for some Merricks Flossies. I ordered for the grand dogs to for Christmas.

Since being here on the forum,I now pay pretty close attention to ingrediants.Its amazing how much junk is in some treats.
 
I used to buy Greenies despite the $$. I thought they were somwhat natural based. Then I found stories where people's dogs died from undigestable pieces. I looked at the ingredients again, and I didn't like seeing corn syrup, salt, methylcellulose... I guess they are not harmful, but I can certainly do without them.
Indie doesn't miss them. I don't miss them, even for convenience. I give Indie crunchy veggies and my own dog biscuits. I usually make a few batches, bake a couple in one day and freeze the rest for the next weekend of baking.

Also, to keep Indie's teeth looking great, I use a single head electric toothbrush.
 
I've never bought them before. Gizmo was scared to death of raw hide bones and other things to chew. He would walk up, sniff it, and then walk away with his body low to the ground and his tail tucked under.

:uhoh:

I read bad things about them on here so I haven't given any to Smudge. He gets too rough with chew bones. He bleeds all over the place when he gets a chew bone, so he doesn't get them anymore.


As for the subject of treats and the ingredients...it's a treat. :biggrin2: A treat is something special. Kids don'teat apples and salads on Halloween, right? Because it's a treat. So I think a "bad" treat (like the Beggin Strips ect.) isn't bad every now and then.
 
Back
Top