Today was the 3rd time we have taken Greyson to the vet since we got him September 10th. The first trip was for his routine exam right after we adopted him. The second vet visit was because he was breathing very fast even at rest and having activity intolerance (which ended up being acute bronchitis and 2 weeks of medications, Doxycycline and Temaril-P). And now to the 3rd vet visit today....
Greyson hasn't been able to keep food down since Sunday. On Sunday morning he ate his regular breakfast of TOTW, green beans and a little pumpkin. Then we went to the dog park for about an hour. About an hour after we got home, he vomited 3 times. It was mostly his food and some liquid. At this point we had stopped his bronchitis medications, as it had been just about 2 weeks anyways.
Monday morning he ate a few bites of his regular kibble, and then wouldn't eat any more. At this point I was already at work, and Derek was feeding him. Derek then left for work at 8am and came back around 4pm. Greyson had thrown up 3 times (all on the carpet unfortunately, if only he could learn to puke on the tile!
).
I did not feed him dinner last night as I wanted to give his stomach a rest. He did steal a few banana slices from my plate though, which he loved and managed to keep down.
This morning I tried feeding him breakfast again, hoping it was just a stomach ache and had resolved. At this point I realized that he wasn't drinking very much water, so I tried putting a small amount of low sodium chicken broth in it to make it more enticing, which worked. About 45 minutes later he vomited up all of the food and water. I then called the vet, who asked me to bring him in ASAP.
So basically they drew bloodwork and Greyson is in acute liver failure. We were sent home and told to wait for a phonecall about the results, and when the vet called me he told me Greyson had to be hospitalized. They don't know the cause and they think it might be something that he ate in the last 3-4 days, but I also think he may have had it before we got him and was made worse by the medications we gave him for bronchitis. The vet thinks he possibly ate a mushroom outside, but we live in a townhouse and don't have a yard, Greyson is never off leash unless he is at the dog park. So I guess the dog park is the only place he could have eaten one. Greyson has been acting normal except for the vomiting, if I hadn't brought him to the vet I wouldn't have known something was wrong.
So now my baby is with the vet, getting IV fluids and treatment. The vet wants to keep him until Saturday, and their "low end" estimate is that it's going to cost $1300. The last two vet visits cost around $300 each. I am very distraught right now, and I'm running out of money so I'm worried that he will need more treatment that I can't afford. I'm sorry if this isn't making any sense, I'm very distraught right now
Greyson hasn't been able to keep food down since Sunday. On Sunday morning he ate his regular breakfast of TOTW, green beans and a little pumpkin. Then we went to the dog park for about an hour. About an hour after we got home, he vomited 3 times. It was mostly his food and some liquid. At this point we had stopped his bronchitis medications, as it had been just about 2 weeks anyways.
Monday morning he ate a few bites of his regular kibble, and then wouldn't eat any more. At this point I was already at work, and Derek was feeding him. Derek then left for work at 8am and came back around 4pm. Greyson had thrown up 3 times (all on the carpet unfortunately, if only he could learn to puke on the tile!
). I did not feed him dinner last night as I wanted to give his stomach a rest. He did steal a few banana slices from my plate though, which he loved and managed to keep down.
This morning I tried feeding him breakfast again, hoping it was just a stomach ache and had resolved. At this point I realized that he wasn't drinking very much water, so I tried putting a small amount of low sodium chicken broth in it to make it more enticing, which worked. About 45 minutes later he vomited up all of the food and water. I then called the vet, who asked me to bring him in ASAP.
So basically they drew bloodwork and Greyson is in acute liver failure. We were sent home and told to wait for a phonecall about the results, and when the vet called me he told me Greyson had to be hospitalized. They don't know the cause and they think it might be something that he ate in the last 3-4 days, but I also think he may have had it before we got him and was made worse by the medications we gave him for bronchitis. The vet thinks he possibly ate a mushroom outside, but we live in a townhouse and don't have a yard, Greyson is never off leash unless he is at the dog park. So I guess the dog park is the only place he could have eaten one. Greyson has been acting normal except for the vomiting, if I hadn't brought him to the vet I wouldn't have known something was wrong.
So now my baby is with the vet, getting IV fluids and treatment. The vet wants to keep him until Saturday, and their "low end" estimate is that it's going to cost $1300. The last two vet visits cost around $300 each. I am very distraught right now, and I'm running out of money so I'm worried that he will need more treatment that I can't afford. I'm sorry if this isn't making any sense, I'm very distraught right now

Last edited: