grooming shelties

It was put on by the Winnipeg Area Shetland Sheepdog Association. You might want to check and see if there is a local association in Ottowa (if Winnipeg has one I am sure Ottawa would :confused2:) It really was great. We got to see how shelties are to be groomed, which brushes and combs to use where and why, how to trim the ears, paws, legs etc. and then we got to work on our shelties while they observed. For someone like me who never really knew how, but just did brushed them anyway I knew, it was very informative.

Oddly enough we don't seem to have an Ottawa Chapter, which is very surprising. Perhaps I'll email my breeders and see if they know more.

Thx
 
Yes, thanks for that link. I got so caught up reading the whole site that I timed out here and had to sign in again.
 
Great site!
Thanks Ania!

There's also I book that I have called the Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming by Barb Ross which is also very good. The only drawback is that it uses illustrations instead of photos.

That's why it would be great if I could find a Sheltie Grooming seminar someplace. Oh, well, will keep looking
 
Great site!
Thanks Ania!

There's also I book that I have called the Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming by Barb Ross which is also very good. The only drawback is that it uses illustrations instead of photos.

That's why it would be great if I could find a Sheltie Grooming seminar someplace. Oh, well, will keep looking

I don't know if this would help you or not, but I was looking on Youtube at sheltie videos and ran across an informational video on cutting show shelties whiskers. I'm sure you could find show grooming videos on Youtube. I know it's probably not the same thing, but it might be worth a try. :yes:
 
I am lucky enough to have a groomer here that is a Sheltie lover and owner that when I came in with mine she said come back when I had time and she taught me how to groom them. Of course she is much better than I am but I can do it myself and save some bucks!.. I think she is the greatest!
 
Grooming

For as long as I've had Caliber(which is about 10 months) - he's never been to a groomer other then to have his ears glued. Replyka has been to our groomer twice, once for her ears and once to be groomed, but that's not because I'm "lazy" or am not perfectly capable of doing so myself. There will be times where I know I'm not going to have the full amount of time to do a full groom(ie. Christmas time, etc.) and I know that taking Replyka to the groomers will help build socialization for her, and that she will be comfortable for when she needs to go to the groomers. She's a handful, and won't let me brush her myself without nipping(even with food to offer!!) So someone who has proper equipment and handling techniques would probably be a better option for me at the moment.

My friend wants a Sheltie very badly...but the only thing stopping her from getting one is the "maintenance". THAT'S what bugs me...for me, it's easier, and a HECK of a lot quicker to bath, brush and clip BOTH my Shelties than it is for me to even just bath and clip my sisters Golden. At least you can scoop them up and plop them in the bath...with larger dogs you have a lot more weight to distribute, AND more surface area to shampoo......condition......brush......uugh. I love having Shelties...it's actuall WAY easier maintenance.
 
Back
Top