Grooming the belly

angielee001

Forums Regular
Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure what to do about grooming my sheltie's belly. I noticed today that his hair is getting matted and it smells like urine because of him peeing on his fur. How are you supposed to maintain the fur? Do you cut it really short? Shave?
 
I don't have a male but I keep the hair around the private parts of Kia shaved and I did the same with Jewel. It helps with keeping the areas clean. I would say short cut but I'll leave that to the Male sheltie experts.:lol:
 
I have had a male Golden Retriever before and I kept the hair closer to his wee wee trimmed shorter than the rest. Another thing that you might want to do is wipe his belly down every other day with baby wipes. That will help with the smell and then you won't have to give him a bath every week.... who wants to do that? :wink2:
 
I cut out any knotted bits between his legs but otherwise dont worry. As he has gotten older he has gotten better at marking and manages to lift his leg higher to pee. My biggest problem is my female getting her head peed on from walking underneath. She also gets a bit smelly around the private parts as well so I wipe her down occassionally with her own flannel. I know a couple of people who shave the belly of their females during summer. Because iis fairly sparse hair it grows back okay.
 
One thing I forgot to mention is he does not lift his leg. So that leaves him squatting like a girl. :o

Well then I think I would just trim the hair in that area and wipe him down every couple of days like I mentioned. Hope that helps!! (Don't worry, my mom had a boy that squatted his whole life, he didn't know any better!!)
 
My boys both squat and I do exactly as McGuireGirl suggests:

Trim the longer hair around his wee-wee (carefully! :eek2:) and wipe with baby wipes, between groomings. And don't forget the poop chute! (there is an entire thread on that....do a search on poop-chute)
 
I'm giggling at this thread. Koji doesn't lift his leg either, and when he goes, his tail does this S thing, it's all very weird and hilarious. Not sure why, as Miko lifts his leg. Oh well.

I think I'll start doing what you guys suggested, wipe down the area once a week. I keep them trimmed otherwise. I tend to trip around his wee-wee and trip the hair, right where his belly button is. Most times, they're good this way. I hate when it's windy though, ew!
 
Do you suppose that if we were to check out "parenting" websites that we would read about threads our human kids wee-wee habits?

I'm sure there is some, but definitely no discussin about squatting behaviour, poop chutes or the velocity of the wind! :biggrin2:

I expect that human parents just have not caught up to us yet! :wink2: If you can toilet train a Sheltie, you can toilet train a child!

I kinda like the idea of "crating my two year old son" - wish I had that inspiration when Ryan was a toddler!

Sick, I know! :eek2:
 
Back
Top