Grrrr-it happened again while walking Sandstorm!!!

KarenCurtis

Forums Sage
:mad:
I am sick of summer here (Cape Cod, MA.). While on our 1/2 mile walk to our local pond beach, an out of state car passed us with a huge mastif mix barking up a storm. I was hoping the dog would not be at the beach, as we like to go there early a.m. and play fetch before people arrive. NOTE: I never let SS poop on the beach.
The big dog wasn't there, (I thought), when all of a sudden I see it at the edge of the woods, about 10 ft. from us. The woman owner (there were two, I only saw one) was behind the dog, and said "uh-oh, back off" to her dog! She then said good morning to me, but at this point I was walking FAST toward the road, with Sandstorm growling (defensively at the huge dog). We walked on, and turned around to go back about ten minutes later. At one point the women and the dog were walking toward us, the dog seemed fine, but they turned around and went back to the beach. Sandstorm and I went to the pond anyway, just kept our distance, and they left.
AM I WEIRD for thinking that "uh-oh, back off" could mean something???
I am beginning to think that the only person I can trust with a mastif or a pit-bull is Cesar. :lol:
When we had our shepherd this wasn't so much of a problem for me. This beach has two trash cans which I suppose I could use as a shield if I had to, but I don't like the way this makes me feel, and Sandstorm can certainly sense my fear. He did not seem afraid at all- I don't know if that is good or bad.
Karen
 
I use 'GENTLE' with Toffee, and sometimes holler it so he can hear me if he is a distance away.. would that also make you nervous, or it would be ok, just cuz Toffee is a Sheltie? Sometimes all dogs have to be reminded to be nice and easy when meeting other dogs, there are a lot of reactive dogs out there, sometimes the little ones are the worst... I would try to not be nervous just because somebody tells their dog to play nice.
I understand you are terrified of those dogs, I think you said in the other thread> Thing is that you can't control other people, and what they do with their dogs :cry: (Wish we could!!!)

I think you may want to look into meeting some nice pitbulls and mastiffs like dogs whose owners you can trust... so that you get over your fear before it translates to Sandstorm? lol, get you over your fears :) My neighbour, Scotty's mom, used to be terrified of dogs.. now even my roomies GSD gets fed daily at her back door, she got over her HUGE fear, slowly and gradually.

Not sure if that is any help :confused2:
 
Well, I'd be thinking better safe than sorry too. Although mastiff owners get very used to telling their dogs NOT to approach strangers as folks generally freak when a big dog approaches (even if its looking goofy, friendly, and happy). It was a wise choice just to avoid the possible confrontation.
 
I use 'GENTLE' with Toffee, and sometimes holler it so he can hear me if he is a distance away.. would that also make you nervous, or it would be ok, just cuz Toffee is a Sheltie? Sometimes all dogs have to be reminded to be nice and easy when meeting other dogs, there are a lot of reactive dogs out there, sometimes the little ones are the worst... I would try to not be nervous just because somebody tells their dog to play nice.
I understand you are terrified of those dogs, I think you said in the other thread> Thing is that you can't control other people, and what they do with their dogs :cry: (Wish we could!!!)

I think you may want to look into meeting some nice pitbulls and mastiffs like dogs whose owners you can trust... so that you get over your fear before it translates to Sandstorm? lol, get you over your fears :) My neighbour, Scotty's mom, used to be terrified of dogs.. now even my roomies GSD gets fed daily at her back door, she got over her HUGE fear, slowly and gradually.

Not sure if that is any help :confused2:
I'm not the one afraid of what the dog can do to me- I've met mastifs before, great danes, I had one years ago jump up and scratch me in the face, but I have met nice ones too. I had a -GSD-love them. We rescued a pit-bull in the road a few weeks ago- adorable dog-It sat in the front seat with us, didn't have my dog with me. I have met other pits too. It is when an owner says "uh-oh, back off" to their dog that is the red flag- GEE, should the owner have said "WARNING- my dog will fight yours!!!" And, no, ofcourse I would not be scared if it was another sheltie- most are smaller than mine, and ,ummm they are not known to injure or kill other dogs?? When we came across an out of control lab, I was afraid for my dog- not me. And YES it is these breeds (pit-bulls and mastifs) that are the most dangerous, not going to be politically correct about this one.
Karen
 
Well, I'd be thinking better safe than sorry too. Although mastiff owners get very used to telling their dogs NOT to approach strangers as folks generally freak when a big dog approaches (even if its looking goofy, friendly, and happy). It was a wise choice just to avoid the possible confrontation.
I think so too- if the owner had given a command, like "it's okay", or something it would have been different, but they were just standing there, not looking very confident
.
Karen
 
I think so too- if the owner had given a command, like "it's okay", or something it would have been different, but they were just standing there, not looking very confident
.
Karen

ahhh, ok, sorry about that!
I understand better now
it's the part about the owners not KNOWING whether their dog will attack or not... so why the hell do they have it off leash when there is other dogs around!? :eek2:
 
ahhh, ok, sorry about that!
I understand better now
it's the part about the owners not KNOWING whether their dog will attack or not... so why the hell do they have it off leash when there is other dogs around!? :eek2:
:smile2: The dog was on the leash- the woman ( I thought there was only one at the time) did not look big enough to be able to contain the dog. It is also the TYPE of dog- and I will say it because it is constantly in the news in the U.S. The last incident was where a pit-bull bit his owner severely, and went after a child. The owners were a family. It took several shots to killi the dog. That is why I am like this-I don't want to be, but I am.
 
Sounds like something I would say to Cadbury. I sometimes have to say 'leave' very firmly to him if I don't want him going straight up to another dog or person. Cadbury is the friendliest dog in existence:wink2: but I know sometimes people look when I say 'gently' 'leave' or 'nicely'.

Try not to let these incidents ruin your walk.

I can't tell you the number of times Cadbury has been bitten on the nose by a terrier, most of the time it has not been his fault - the dogs have run up to him and snapped. I still treat every terrier as neutral, but keep an eye for any aggressive signs.

Sadly Cadbury has become a little frightened of them. A terrier approached him the other day in a very friendly manner and Cadbury cowered and backed up against a wall.:no:

It wasn't helped by a new terrier at agility - it dislikes Cadbury intensely. I was standing by the fence watching a round when, unbeknown to me, the lady with the terrier passed behind me to go to the tunnel. Cadbury was facing the different way to me, he didn't move to my knowledge, but I think he poked his nose forward a little in a friendly gesture and promptly got it bitten:(

I treat each of these incidents calmly without fussing Cadbury or causing a commotion so I don't reinforce his fear.

I think we just have to keep going, treat these incidents as minor for the dog's sake, and try to reinforce as many positive incidents as possible. I am determined to prove to Cadbury that some terriers are nice - he grew up with a terrier in his breeder's household who always played with him and who Cadbury adored - I want him to remember this and start seeing terriers in a different light.

Problem is many terriers are so snappy - it makes my life so hard!
 
Sounds like something I would say to Cadbury. I sometimes have to say 'leave' very firmly to him if I don't want him going straight up to another dog or person. Cadbury is the friendliest dog in existence:wink2: but I know sometimes people look when I say 'gently' 'leave' or 'nicely'.

Try not to let these incidents ruin your walk.

I can't tell you the number of times Cadbury has been bitten on the nose by a terrier, most of the time it has not been his fault - the dogs have run up to him and snapped. I still treat every terrier as neutral, but keep an eye for any aggressive signs.

Sadly Cadbury has become a little frightened of them. A terrier approached him the other day in a very friendly manner and Cadbury cowered and backed up against a wall.:no:

It wasn't helped by a new terrier at agility - it dislikes Cadbury intensely. I was standing by the fence watching a round when, unbeknown to me, the lady with the terrier passed behind me to go to the tunnel. Cadbury was facing the different way to me, he didn't move to my knowledge, but I think he poked his nose forward a little in a friendly gesture and promptly got it bitten:(

I treat each of these incidents calmly without fussing Cadbury or causing a commotion so I don't reinforce his fear.

I think we just have to keep going, treat these incidents as minor for the dog's sake, and try to reinforce as many positive incidents as possible. I am determined to prove to Cadbury that some terriers are nice - he grew up with a terrier in his breeder's household who always played with him and who Cadbury adored - I want him to remember this and start seeing terriers in a different light.

Problem is many terriers are so snappy - it makes my life so hard!
The only dog Sandstorm plays with is the Lab mix, his girlfriend. He met another sheltie once and they got along great! He met a little terrier today, the little dog loved Sandstorm. They sniffed. The problem really is the owners most of the time. One can almost sense an owner with no control even at a distance, and alot of owners don't want their dogs to interact with others. The dog across the road from us is really nice but his owners will not allow even sniffing!! They live about 30 ft away!!
I do have my dog prejudices, but I think for good reason.
Karen
 
The problem really is the owners most of the time.
I completely agree. There are those who let their dogs run wild, even if they aren't friendly and then those who won't let their dogs come near yours even when the dog desperately wants to meet and play. So unfair on the dog:no:

One time, when Cadbury was a puppy at a class (not my current club) a lady had a collie puppy. We had not started class and were just waiting around, Cadbury trotted a little to the side to say hello to this pup and the collie was gently leaning forward to touch noses when its owner screamed at it "no!" and pulled it away! What is that supposed to teach a tiny puppy?:no:
 
Back
Top