Hard time finding a puppy

Biscuit

Forums Regular
Here's the story, we were planning on getting a sheltie puppy. So we decided to join the sheltie club. Now that summer break is very soon, I will have time off school to get a puppy and train it, so we started looking. But......... we didn't realize how freaking expensive they can be. Up to $1400?! That is the price of a horse. We don't have that money just to buy a dog. I thought they were around $700~$800. They also happen to be uncommon around here in Sacramento. Also many breeders around our area have no litters.

We did however find a couple merle sheltie puppies on oodle, and a 1 year old sheltie mix from petfinder that are possible. My dad already emailed about the sheltie puppy. At first I thought this is great, but then when I thought about it, it seems a bit suspicious. Low price, not a lot of details, no pics of parents. I'm, concerned that this person is a backyard breeder/ puppy mill breeder. I'm interested in doing agility, and if these puppies are badly bred, they will possibly have physical issues from agility.

The second choice is a rescue sheltie mix named Tyler. In the detailed description, the foster owner cares about him. He sounds like really nice dog. The foster did say that he could be a good agility prospect.

Should I go for one of these, or would it be best to wait? What's your advice on this situation?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You actually found a Sheltie on Petfinder?! Hard to believe. After about a year and a half of looking for ANY breed of dog on Petfinder that is loving, calm, gentle and not finding ANY (particularly the sensitive breeds like Shelties), I finally realized why--they get their dogs from kill shelters (which they save at the last minute) and the dogs gotten from there are NOT the kind of dog that may easily "fit" in to my needs (heck may not even seem anything like the breed advertised.)

Not sure I trust those ads--"buy a pup from us and we'll ship" either. Those ads charge an awful lot for putting a wee pup through the stress of being transported. (And it's all sight unseen--the words "buying a pig in a poke" come to mind.)

Good breeders must be around. Hope you keep looking and find just what you desire.
 
Referrals?

Have you asked your local breeders that don't have pups for a referral?

Best of luck in your search!

Kimberly
 
there is a group in the north bay area of SF, CA.
they meet once a month at a local park.
sheltiesundays.com. I think a lot of the shelties are related. anyway, A good place to ask about breeders. I know its a drive from sacramento, but its not too far.

I got my pup from a Sacramento breeder 9 years ago, but she moved years ago. I think there are a few breeders in the Bay Area, as well. The sheltie rescue doesn't seem to have many dogs, but there is SoCal sheltie rescue.
 
As with anything... you get what you pay for. The price of a puppy reflects the breeder's costs... genetic tests for mom, stud fees to breed to Mr. Just-Right, prenatal vet care, vet care for the puppies (and a c-section, if needed, will add $$$$), food for mom and pups... the fact is that the cost of everything is pretty high in northern CA, as I'm sure you know! And really, truly, I can guarantee you that a good hobby breeder isn't making a profit on his or her puppies - they're just trying to break even, and often don't.

When you consider the fact that your pup is going to be your buddy for 14+ years, that there are serious ethical considerations in where a puppy comes from (ie. puppy mills, substandard breeders), and that a good, solid breeder will be available to you for "customer support" for the life of your dog, it is (in my opinion) a price worth paying.

You may need to wait longer for your pup than you had originally anticipated (both to save up the purchase price, and for the right dog from the right breeder to be available). But as I mentioned above, you get what you pay for... and this is something that is worth the wait.

You may also want to put out feelers with breeders about getting a retired show or breeding dog. These are usually 5-7 years old, or even younger, and are already housebroken and have some training - they're just ready to be someone's one-and-only family pet. Breeders are often willing to let them go for less than the price of a puppy, to the right home.
 
You are entirely right. Central CA is NOT full of shelties. I mean, we do have amazing breeders, but they have huge waiting lists. Petfinder, well, nothing except mis-labeled mixes in CA. I waited for months and months looking on Petfinder and ended up purchasing from a small breeder with healthy dogs.

I wouldn't go for the shady breeder, probably the rescue because his personality is set.
 
As to that rescue -- no. The description shows too many issues and it is not sheltie either. You won't be happy.
 
You are entirely right. Central CA is NOT full of shelties. I mean, we do have amazing breeders, but they have huge waiting lists. Petfinder, well, nothing except mis-labeled mixes in CA. I waited for months and months looking on Petfinder and ended up purchasing from a small breeder with healthy dogs.

I wouldn't go for the shady breeder, probably the rescue because his personality is set.

Its so true about Central CA not having many shelties. I'm looking at all the sheltie breeders in our area, and all of them have no puppies available. But If I look at breeders in Florida, Idaho, Illinois, anything but California, they have puppies. So very frustrating:mad:
 
Good new, I did find one breeder with puppies, I'm contacting her right now. Hopefully she responds, and still has the puppies. Although the fee is $1000, I'm going to contribute $300~$500 of my savings, and my sister can pitch in with our parents.
 
Back
Top