Here's the story, we were planning on getting a sheltie puppy. So we decided to join the sheltie club. Now that summer break is very soon, I will have time off school to get a puppy and train it, so we started looking. But......... we didn't realize how freaking expensive they can be. Up to $1400?! That is the price of a horse. We don't have that money just to buy a dog. I thought they were around $700~$800. They also happen to be uncommon around here in Sacramento. Also many breeders around our area have no litters.
We did however find a couple merle sheltie puppies on oodle, and a 1 year old sheltie mix from petfinder that are possible. My dad already emailed about the sheltie puppy. At first I thought this is great, but then when I thought about it, it seems a bit suspicious. Low price, not a lot of details, no pics of parents. I'm, concerned that this person is a backyard breeder/ puppy mill breeder. I'm interested in doing agility, and if these puppies are badly bred, they will possibly have physical issues from agility.
The second choice is a rescue sheltie mix named Tyler. In the detailed description, the foster owner cares about him. He sounds like really nice dog. The foster did say that he could be a good agility prospect.
Should I go for one of these, or would it be best to wait? What's your advice on this situation?
We did however find a couple merle sheltie puppies on oodle, and a 1 year old sheltie mix from petfinder that are possible. My dad already emailed about the sheltie puppy. At first I thought this is great, but then when I thought about it, it seems a bit suspicious. Low price, not a lot of details, no pics of parents. I'm, concerned that this person is a backyard breeder/ puppy mill breeder. I'm interested in doing agility, and if these puppies are badly bred, they will possibly have physical issues from agility.
The second choice is a rescue sheltie mix named Tyler. In the detailed description, the foster owner cares about him. He sounds like really nice dog. The foster did say that he could be a good agility prospect.
Should I go for one of these, or would it be best to wait? What's your advice on this situation?
Last edited by a moderator: