Heartworm yearly blood tests?

ghggp

Moderator
I got a postcard from my vet that all three of my boys are due for a heartworm blood test! I have always kept my boys on heartworm meds for 12 months and have done so for years! Since I lost my job due to Covid19 I do not want to spend money on tests that are not necessary.

Both Baron and Beau have gotten complete blood panels done this year since they are over 5. That is when we determined Baron needed Thyroid meds.

Anyway, just thought I would as to see if anyone else could give guidance...
 
You should only need the heartworm blood test if you don't give the heartworm meds year-round. I only do it from May to December, and I don't always rush to do the bloodwork. The test that my vet uses now measures heartworm and tick diseases, which is why I get it done. I certainly think you can pass on it if you're giving it year-round.
 
The 3 vets I deal with will not prescribe the heartworm meds without the test. I am like Ann and don't give year round most years. Mosquitos are not active below 50 degrees or so 'they' say. I tend to wait until temps are below 40 and then withhold meds until we warm up again. Mine are still on heartworm this year as it's been warm and fairly damp. I do get around the tests about every other year.
 
The risk is that if the dog has heart worms the meds are dangerous. Add in that some areas mandate the test prior to prescriptions so the choice might be limited. Down here we have year round mosquitos to some degree (yes they decline in winter). But to complicate it they spray also in some areas, so at my house between limited nearby standing water and spray I have about zero year round. Of course the risk for me would be we go visit or they stay at my brothers, etc

EDIT: guessing on your general area and situation. I would drag my feet until say February and hopefully the job situation has turned around by then and this is all a non-issue. You are pretty much out of squito season there and it will only decrease everyday as the winter sets in.
 
I am retired and money no longer grows on trees so I am also considering cutting off the heart worm medication as well as annual testing (of course, I can't get the medication without the test anyway). We live at 6000 ft and in a desert climate. I have not seen mosquitoes since we moved here. Our dogs don't leave the house and yard so I feel it is a very low risk.
 
You should only need the heartworm blood test if you don't give the heartworm meds year-round. I only do it from May to December, and I don't always rush to do the bloodwork. The test that my vet uses now measures heartworm and tick diseases, which is why I get it done. I certainly think you can pass on it if you're giving it year-round.
Thanks, Ann! it will certainly help the bottom line!
 
We are so lucky here but I don't know for how much longer. No heartworm in our area, although it is part of the general bloodwork panel if you get that. I've had the dogs individually tested on and off, but my vet doesn't even recommend that for now. We do have ticks though, I try to only give those meds in the summer months.
 
Back
Top