Heavy sleeper or high alert?

corbinam

Moderator
Funny story that really illustrates the difference between my two pups (and DH and myself!)

Last night around 3 am, I woke up to a very loud, scary, continuous noise. As soon as it started, Lexi and I sat straight up in bed, very concerned.

I look over, and Bentley and DH have literally not moved :sleepy:

It took me about 5 shoves to wake DH, who eventually investigated the noise (Bentley: :sleepy:). Turns out the cat had somehow turned the TV on to a static channel, and it was on really loud. (Very scary at 3 am).

It got me thinking...Lexi wakes to any noise, and is very alert at all times. Not to say she can't sleep anywhere, but she will wake at any moment to ensure that her pack is safe. Bentley, on the other hand, sleeps through anything once it's bedtime.

How about your pups? Heavy sleepers? Or are they on high alert?
 
Its funny mom my was discussing this fact last night, I keep Mia in my room and the rest of the dogs are down stairs in the dog room, well last night I was making my bed at midnight, Mia had been in her crate her about 2 hours and was sound asleep, meanwhile I have the tv on, 2 cats are pinging off my bed off her crate, and im re-arranging my bed...My mom walks by and said wow if that had been any of the other dogs they would have flipped out barking, I quick looked in her crate she was still upside down sound asleep...Heavy sleeper or is she accustomed to me being a rather loud person, im going with heavy sleeper because she doesnt hear anything going on outside when shes in her crate sleeping.

So bottom line if someones breaking in i'd better count on the 5 downstairs to alert me:lol: because the one next to my bed is useless on that account:lol:
 
Baxter is my sleeper. I think the house could fall on him and he's sleep right through it. Fergus on the other hand hears everything. Every little creak the house makes or any slight noise at all and he's on alert and barking.
 
Justice was raised in an apartment. A bomb could go off outside the house and he wouldn't move. However, if he doesn't know you and you try to come in the house. That's another story. I think the TV going on inside the house would alert him especially if I was worried myself. The firecrack going off outside the window at 3am on July 2 :sleepy:

Ember is more reactive to noises. She doesn't bark so much but gives the low growl of death and laser beam eyes in the direction of the problem. If I don't take care of it she barks. She will wake up and alert me.

Diva is a sleeper:sleepy:. She could care less. However, in the last week she has gotten swivel head with noises and laser beam eyes of death. Hum I wonder why.:wink2: No barking though. She will go body block the doorway.
 
Well I know who I would prefer was minding my sheep!

My dogs are much more alert to sounds when sleeping than me, and I'm a fairly light sleeper. Its their job to wake me up if there is anything out of the ordinary. Now if only I had a snooze button on them so once alerted they would hush and I could go back to sleep.
 
Humm...

Since Brian is deaf in one ear,if he is home,and he happens to be sleeping on his good ear..he won't hear a thing if something is wrong.

Earnhardt is always on alert.Trapp is not a sound sleeper either.He does not initiate any barking till Earnhardt barks. I would hate to see the face of someone if they were trying to break in,cause I don't think Earnhardt would budge,and would probably hurt someone.
Jasper would probably get as far under covers,he is reactive to noises,but I'm sure he would do all he could to stay far away..
 
Zoey is pretty alert. She'll sometimes sleep by my side and if I move on my chair, her head will come up and she looks at me.

I believe it's just her nature to be a light sleeper. Sometimes she intentionally goes in a different room to sleep, and I believe it's because she's way too alert to fall in a deep sleep when we're around.
 
I believe it's just her nature to be a light sleeper. Sometimes she intentionally goes in a different room to sleep, and I believe it's because she's way too alert to fall in a deep sleep when we're around.

I never thought of that. Makes sense! Lexi does the same thing.
 
Boo, the vicious, alert, watchdog here.....well, can you say "coma?" Once his head hits the pillow it's over. I get up around 5am and he continues to sleep & lounge until around 8am then gets up to go out and see whats happening in the world. An people who don't know say things like, You sure live a dogs life....if I lived a dogs life, I would feel like a king...especially the shelties on here...:lol:
 
Back
Top