Hello From Arkansas

Itz Sew Me

Forums Novice
In 2008 I decided I had grieved long enough for my last fur baby, after all it had been 12 yrs since Frostie an Eskimo Spitz had passed. So I decided to investigate what breed I wanted. I wanted fur, had to be smart, had to be active in order to hike with me and all these traits were available in the sheltie. It took about 3 months to find my Alex, a precious tri-black puppy. I had never seen a sheltie in person but I was hooked from the get go.

He has been so much fun and I would do it all over again and probably will someday. In 2011 my husband was diagnosed with cancer and was forced to go on disability in 2012. Since then he has found out what is so woderful about the sheltie, as a truck driver he had never spent much time with Alex.

Also in 2011 Alex was having issues and early 2012 he was diagnosed with thyroid disease, and in April this year Cushings as well. So my baby will have a shorter life than anticipated but every day is better than the day before.


I wonder if anyone else is dealing with Cushings as well?
 
I had a bi-black sheltie girl diagnosed with Cushings disease at the age of 10.
She lived to be 14 1/2 yrs. old. She took Lysodren a couple times a week.

Living with Cushings is possible, but it is not inexpensive.
 
No it is not inexpensive, but we decided from the start we would make cuts in the budget to make it happen. I noticed recently that his back legs are thinning but he still runs like a maniac along the fence line. And one day he st
PHP:
ill hopes to ? ? ? the vacuum but I know he hurts.

I am new at this but once I get it figured out pictures will be posted, he is still beautiful from the neck forward but it doesn't appear his back and rear will ever be what it used to be. Still beautiful to me though. :-)
 
Welcome to SN! Yes, we do love pix.:yes: You can post links to any online albums you may have like on FB, Twitter, Sutterfly, Photobucket, etc. Or you can become a forums Premium Member and attach photos to your post. Can't wait to see pix of your boy.:biggrin2:

I wish I had something to say to help you with the Cushings. Prayers for you both that your able to keep Alex happy and healthy for many years to come.:hugs
 
Welcome! You'll get good advice here about Cushings. Hope your husband is doing well now.
 
Husband is doing fine, he started a new treatment 4 months ago and sure he has pain but he "feels" better than he has in years. It is a shame that the easiest and best treatment is the last available to him. Stage 4 at diagnosis and still holding the same ground 2.5 yrs later. Thanks for asking.

I love shelties and I love looking at everyone's babies. Alex is still the only sheltie I have ever seen except his parents when I picked him up. A few months ago I saw some puppies at the vets and it was so tempting to take one home. Not sure that I am wanting to mess up Alex's spoilt only child world. Haha

Thank you all for being so welcoming.
 
Husband is doing fine, he started a new treatment 4 months ago and sure he has pain but he "feels" better than he has in years. It is a shame that the easiest and best treatment is the last available to him. Stage 4 at diagnosis and still holding the same ground 2.5 yrs later. Thanks for asking.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Sending more healing thoughts and prayers.:hugs
 
Back
Top