Horse Chestnut
Forums Regular
Hi everyone at Shelte Nation. I'd like to introduce myself and my Sheltie, Ida. I adopted my 5-year-old girl from a rural shelter in my state, and her story is probably familiar to many here; she was a breeder dog at a small (so I was told) puppy mill. Spent most of her life crated or in a puppy pit. She was debarked.<P>That about all I know. She has no outward signs of phyical abuse, no scars, limping, etc. She was extremely shut down and shy. She flinched whenever I reached to touch or pet her, flopped to the floor, and was afraid of any eye contact.<P>I have had my sweetgirl for a month now, and there has been progress. Her anxiety has decreased, she is more accepting of being touched, and she even welcomes me home with a wigglebutt and a happily wagging tail.<P>The happiness during the homecoming though, is the only time she shows any joy. There is only one real problem that still need work and attention - she is food aggressive if my older Collie walks too close during mealtimes- but otherwise she is pretty soft, walks well on a leash, and is friendly and calm around my cats. But I worry about her passivity and reserved air. She does not play with toys, and doesn't seem to enjoy her walks.<P>I've had dogs all my life, but the Shetland Sheepdog breed is new to me. I understand that they are not little Collies,
and I do intend to pick everyone's brains here, and come here often as Ida's rehabilitation continues, but my big question is; will my Ida Mae ever learn to be a happy dog? http://www.tm.org/lp/anxiety-treatment.html?leadsource=CRM82
and I do intend to pick everyone's brains here, and come here often as Ida's rehabilitation continues, but my big question is; will my Ida Mae ever learn to be a happy dog? http://www.tm.org/lp/anxiety-treatment.html?leadsource=CRM82


