Hello from Ohio, 1st time Sheltie owner

Sugars new mom

Forums Regular
I just love this site! I am trying to learn as much as I can about Shelties. We have a 5 year old named Sugar his owner just passed away so we took him in 2 weeks ago. He is the sweetest dog I have ever had. But I do think he is missing his first owner terribly and brother (a shetzu, I probably didnt spell that right), who went to another home. I have tried everything to cheer him up he is finally eating but he won't play at all, is very timid and he seems to only want to sleep all day and night. Much needed help, any suggestions????
 
Give it some time

It is natural for a Sheltie to be a little shy around strangers or people other than their owners, I'm sure you are right about Sugar missing his former home and other dog. They are a sensitive breed, and very intelligent.

We just adopted a 5 year old Sheltie a few months ago, from a top notch breeder locally. She had lived with them since birth. She was a little disoriented at first, but gradually she adjusted to our routines and our other dog, a 15 year old female Sheltie. Her personality slowly emerged, and now she is a full blown member of the family and acts like this is her home and she knows it. She is doing great.

Take your time, take him for walks and try to play ball, just spend time with him. Chances are he will come around in time as he gets used to his new surroundings. Some dogs need canine companionship, he may be one of them since that is what he is used to.

Good for you to adopt him, under very difficult circumstances.
 
You are just wonderful to adopt Sugar!! :hugs
Yes, he will warm up, but it will take a few weeks. Gentle words and loving petting will work wonders. Also, if he can sleep near you, he'll feel safer and will bond to you faster.

He's probably grieving, so sleep is helping him cope.
 
The others are right. Think of it this way...his whole world completely changed in a few days, and he doesn't understand why. Shelties are a very sensitive breed, and it may take him time to come around.

You might also consider seeing if he'd be interested in meeting some dog friends if he is used to not being alone. I would only introduce him to your friends' dogs if you know they are friendly and well-behaved. But, it might remind him how to have fun again.
 
Welcome:smile2:
we love pix:yes:

all new shelties take a little time to adjust- my rescue girl who was 5 yr when she came home took a little while to settle in. I put her in a basic obedience class so she could socialize and interact with other dogs and people. She went on to get her CGC and RN title. She's almost 11 (in June) and pretty much just does what she wants now:winkgrin:
 
hiya and welcome.
yes, we do love pics....
just keep on doing what you are doing. sugar will come around, it takes time ( treats work wonders too)
 
Thank you all for such good advise! I thought he might need to be around other dogs (my friends only have large dogs) so I was afraid they might scare him. If anyone comes to the house he hides. But he does love to be brushed unfortunately his owner was very sick the last 3 years so he had a lot of matts and we had to have him cut so we are starting over to get his coat back. I have been reading that might take a while.
 
Welcome:smile2: It's great that you took Sugar in. That's right, there was a big change in his life, he surely is a bit confused and timid. Gentle playing, petting and a friendly atmosphere may help. Mainly don't tell him anything like "Oh my poor doggie, it's so sad..." After all life isn't a tragedy but it's great to be here, isn't it? And his new life will go on with his new mom, lots of fun and a loving care. I'm pretty sure that in the end he will love it:hugs

If the large dogs are nice and behave well, I wouldn't be afraid of meeting them.

And yes, we trully do love pics:winkgrin:
 
Back
Top