Hello Sheltie Lovers....

Hollysmom

Forums Regular
My name is Kathy and I will be bringing my new baby home in 10 days. I'd like to tell you about Holly and how we met. She is going to be something special.....

It started on Thanksgiving Day. My niece is a vet tech and she brought a 9 day old Sheltie puppy to our family Thanksgiving dinner. This puppy was brought into her clinic by the breeder for euthanasia because it was born with a cleft palate. The clinic did not euthanize her. They instead started tube feeding her. This needed to be done every couple of hours which is why she came to our family gathering. It was love at first sight. When I found out that she would be up for adoption as soon as she was well I jumped at the chance to be her mom. I decided to name her Holly because I met her on Thanksgiving and would pick her up just after New Year's Day. Hence, she was my holiday puppy. Holly had surgery on her cleft palate before Christmas and that went very well. It seems that she is most likely partially blind, but we will love her no matter what her health issues may be.

I have been doing a lot of reading about this breed. I already have one herding dog and it seems they have similar traits. If anyone cares to share some wisdom upon me I am all ears.

Kathy
 
Welcome to you and little Holly! You found each other and were destined to be together! Bless you for opening your heart and home.

Please post pictures when you can! Also, you can ask anything to help you moving forward and there will be many experts here that will offer help!
 
Congratulations on your new addition and God bless you and that vet clinic for caring so much, brings tears to my eyes. Do post some pictures of Holly (you can copy and paste from any photo sharing site, or become a premium member and just upload directly) and any questions you have just ask...lots of very informed Sheltie owners here, this really is THE BEST site around with the most helpful, friendly people!
 
Congratulations on your new addition and God bless you and that vet clinic for caring so much, brings tears to my eyes. Do post some pictures of Holly (you can copy and paste from any photo sharing site, or become a premium member and just upload directly) and any questions you have just ask...lots of very informed Sheltie owners here, this really is THE BEST site around with the most helpful, friendly people!
 
Congratulations on your new addition and God bless you and that vet clinic for caring so much, brings tears to my eyes. Do post some pictures of Holly (you can copy and paste from any photo sharing site, or become a premium member and just upload directly) and any questions you have just ask...lots of very informed Sheltie owners here, this really is THE BEST site around with the most helpful, friendly people!
You are ABSOLUTELY right, Piper's mom!
 
Oh what a wonderful holiday story! Welcome to you and Holly. The one thing that might be challenging is that she was removed from her mom and littermates at such a young age, so she isn't getting the normal socialization from them. Perhaps some members here who breed can help you with that part. I am so thankful that the vet and his staff saved this little girl and that you are willing to embrace her no matter her physical status. Big hugs to you!
 
Oh what a wonderful holiday story! Welcome to you and Holly. The one thing that might be challenging is that she was removed from her mom and littermates at such a young age, so she isn't getting the normal socialization from them. Perhaps some members here who breed can help you with that part. I am so thankful that the vet and his staff saved this little girl and that you are willing to embrace her no matter her physical status. Big hugs to you!
I am a little worried about the socialization issue. I will be starting puppy classes in February. I know that all the vet techs have brought her into their homes and they all have multiple dogs but it’s not the same as Mom. I can’t wait to post pictures. I’m glad to have found this forum as I may need a sounding board.
 
Back
Top