Hello

Hi, Tammy. Don't you worry. Think of it this way -- you'll fill the mama role even closer. And you'll have control of the earliest socialization. While conventional wisdom encourages leaving puppies with mothers for 8 weeks, in the past, 4-6 weeks wasn't uncommon for separation. My dear Cocker Spaniel Duchess was 4 weeks when we got her, and she was a splendid girl who was healthy, stable, and lived to 16! He a beauty! :wink2:

While it's not ideal, the other thought is that she has YOU has a Mom, so she's bound to turn out just wonderful! :smile2:
 
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the comments. I'm hoping he will have a tight bond with me, but I'm currently living at home, so he gets to be around my parents and sister. Who knows, maybe he will connect to someone else! haha. I'll admit, that would make me a little jealous, but I would still be happy if he is happy. And no, mcguiregirl2248, I did not find your questions rude. I'm actually glad you asked. People should be worried if a pup is being released so young! Harvey's growing fast though. His reflexes are much sharper, and he can run faster. Not only that, but he's trying to bark now, which is funny because it only sounds like little yips. He's also going to the vet tomorrow for some shots. Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted on his growth.
 
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the comments. I'm hoping he will have a tight bond with me, but I'm currently living at home, so he gets to be around my parents and sister. Who knows, maybe he will connect to someone else! haha. I'll admit, that would make me a little jealous, but I would still be happy if he is happy. And no, mcguiregirl2248, I did not find your questions rude. I'm actually glad you asked. People should be worried if a pup is being released so young! Harvey's growing fast though. His reflexes are much sharper, and he can run faster. Not only that, but he's trying to bark now, which is funny because it only sounds like little yips. He's also going to the vet tomorrow for some shots. Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted on his growth.

Somehow they know who Mommy is, even if you're not always there. When we got Layla, my sister raised her all day, but she still know I was Mom. :smile2:
 
Wow, Harvey is one young pup. I'd be afraid to step or sit on him with him so small. Lol! Welcome to the forum! Love the pictures!! I'm sure he will have quite a bond with you, especially since he is with you from such a young age.
 
Last edited:
When I got my first sheltie, I lived at home. So it was my parents, my three sisters and myself! Yet, Dorian bonded with me. I was the one who looked after him, fed him, took him on most of his walk and played with him the most. There was NO mistaking who he bonded with ever. Even when I went away to school for 4 years and had to leave him with my parents, when I came home, hands down, he'd come to me when called. So don't worry!
 
Back
Top