Jax is our fourth sheltie - love the breed! Jax has been a great dog and i have trained him rather well with basic commands, but he exhibits a totally different behavior, primarily, when having to exit a play date with his friends in the neighborhood. Once i put on his leash, signaling it is time to leave and play time is over, he attacks my feet, growls and becomes a jekyl-hyde dog. I have tried spraying him with water, which doesnt work. I have to coax him, talk firmly and pull the leash and then he settles down. The entire episode is gernerally about ten seconds, which seems like an eternity when dealing with an unruly dog.
This can also happen if we stop and visit a dog, both leashed, during a walk, same behavior with me and, many times, he hows aggression toward the dog, many who are much larger than he is. It is embarassing and feel like i cannot control this bad behavior. I dont wish to wait until he bites someone or a dog. I always remain calm pull on leash firmly to distract him and to keep walking.
It will also happen when we visit a dog park. When it is time to leave, leash back on, he gets crazy, growling, going after my feet. I understand the herding instinct in this breed and all four shelties have had a a strong herding instinct but this is extreme, though i could see how effective it would be if i were a sheep or goat.
I would appreciate any advice. I love this dog and he is a sweetheart 90% of the time, loyal, affectionate and rather obedient, walks well on a leash - pulls occasionally if he sees someone he knows or a dog friend.
This can also happen if we stop and visit a dog, both leashed, during a walk, same behavior with me and, many times, he hows aggression toward the dog, many who are much larger than he is. It is embarassing and feel like i cannot control this bad behavior. I dont wish to wait until he bites someone or a dog. I always remain calm pull on leash firmly to distract him and to keep walking.
It will also happen when we visit a dog park. When it is time to leave, leash back on, he gets crazy, growling, going after my feet. I understand the herding instinct in this breed and all four shelties have had a a strong herding instinct but this is extreme, though i could see how effective it would be if i were a sheep or goat.
I would appreciate any advice. I love this dog and he is a sweetheart 90% of the time, loyal, affectionate and rather obedient, walks well on a leash - pulls occasionally if he sees someone he knows or a dog friend.


that