Hepatic Encephalopathy???

Aww Barb - that's got to be so difficult. Fingers crossed for some better days ahead for you and your little Bacca.
 
I am so sorry about Bacca. I think we all grew up with him for some time now.

I thought he was improving and now this. Very stressful for both of you.
For those (like me) who have never gone through such an ordeal you have
really educated all of us.

Hopefully the meds work and Bacca improves again for you. All positive thoughts coming your way.
 
I am so saddened to hear this merry go round you are on with Bacca. You just feel helpless in times like this but it sounds like you are doing all that's possible for Bacca. I pray that he get back on tract and I'm sure you will too. Because that's what good moms do and that is what you are. Hang in there Barb.
 
He was so bad today with his endless circling and pacing and head-bashing, and sticking his head into corners and not moving for several a minute or so. He is 100% with eating snow and it just makes it worse, because he gets brain freeze.

Finally now he is sleeping, but tomorrow will be another day

Honestly, I am starting to think it might be time to say good bye even though he is not even 6years old. Its so hard to watch him wandering around and bumbing into furniture and falling and tripping on his feet.

Even basic grooming is a problem. He screams and struggles. I can only do small sections at a time. He does even like to be pet. Its as if it hurts him.

Im at a loss
 
Sometimes, the kindest thing we do is to let them go. I keep hoping that I will open up this thread and see that Bacca is back to doing better. You have done soooo much for him and I know he means more than just another dog to you. I know that he has been what got you through some tough times. You will make the right decision for him, of that I have no doubt. Just know that we are all wishing we could be with you while you go through this. Be strong.
 
Barb, I am so very sorry that you and Bacca are having to go through all of this.

Both of you are on my heart and I am keeping you and Mr. Bacca in my prayers.
 
I talked with Dave tonight about this.....and he says no, its not time....but he does not live with Bacca, 7 days per week.

Bacca finally stopped pacing today well after after supper time....which meant that he did not eat . I had to force meds down his throat...again....And now another med, antiobotic.....That's 3 pills twice per day, along with a squirt of lactulose 2-3 times per day

I really appreciate anyones advice on how to medicate dogs....Bacca can spit out the small pills after I walk away. I grind up others into his food, but then I have to mix in a low sodicum broth to get him to eat.

He spits out the lactulose too....which means he has a constantly sticky mouth and ruff.

I'm so tired and not sure what else I can do......
 
Oh Barb, I'm so sorry. Like Tagg said, what ever happens I know you'll do the right thing. Prayers of strength and healing sent to you and Bacca.:hugs
 
Hey Barb: With the liquid, gently pull the corner of the lip out on one side and squirt the liquid into the back of the pocket that is formed when you do this. Tip the head slightly and hold the muzzle with one hand while you stroke his throat.

For the pills, open the mouth and get the pill as far back as you can - right to the back of the tongue if possible. Hold the muzzle up and either stroke his throat until you see his tongue come out or do what I do and kiss his little chin until he swallows. I always look for the tongue movement before I let them go.

You will know when you have both had enough of this. You live with the dog, see his struggles and will know when it's time. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I still hope for better news for Bacca but he is still one of the lucky ones. He had you as his caretaker. You haven't abandoned him, like many of the dogs that rescue see, and you have done all that you can. When you and he are ready, you will guide him over the bridge.
 
I'm wondering if his being unsettled and not wanting to eat is due to him having a lactose attack. Lactulose is derived from lactose and needs lactase to break it down. So if you are giving him therapeutic doses he is likely to be getting the side effects of lactose intolerance. I wouldn't want to eat if I was having lac attacks all the time. I don't think people realise just how awful and uncomfortable lac attacks are if they've never experienced them - it's like having the stomach aches and cramping like you've got really bad diarrhea but generally without the runs. Try getting one of the over the counter lactase supplements that will breakdown the lactose. It comes in liquid form as well as tablets to make it easier.

Both mine get about 6tabs a day - if you can crush any of the tabs mixing the crushed tab in lactose free milk is an easy way to give it.
 
Back
Top