Hi From Maryland

Grace

Forums Novice
My name is Grace. I own a beautiful Sable and White Sheltie. She is 18 months old. She is my third Sheltie
And OH BOY she is so very different from the other two..
I have some questions regarding "How to be the Pack Leader"? (Me - NOT HER)
Where can I post these questions so that I can get help??
Thanks,
Grace
 
You can always do a search to find additional information on any topic on this site!

My Laddie sometimes tried to challenge me when he was young! What worked for me was no longer allowing him to sleep in the bed with me and obedience classes!

Welcome and good luck with your new pup!
 
Hi
Thank you for responding. I've had Abigail obedience class for a number of sessions. She listens to most commands. She heels, sits, stays for at least 10 minutes, and down. We are still working on "place"
- somewhere for her to go, not jumping when people come into the home. I take her to nursing homes ( in Maryland it's called Pets on Wheels)-
Abigail also has her Good Citizen Certificate.
BUT we live in an extremely busy area. She barks excessive and lunges at the Windows like a wild dog when golf carts ride by, or people ( sometimes), other cars, etc.
the trainer who comes to the home highly suggested a shock collar- only when she is uncontrollable. I HATE USING IT BUT I DO
we are moving into a quieter area on Jan 23 but there will still be noise
Yes she's in agility, plenty of walks, chasing balls, and hopefully soon herding lessons. She gets plenty of exercise

The thing is this: when the trainer is at my home Abigail listens and does not even go near the window nor barks!! When I go away I give her to a vet assistant and she says Abigail does not go crazy at her home
SO ITS ME
I want my dog to listen and show respect as she does to these people.
I've been reading about " pack leaders for dogs" and it has given me much to think about

Please any suggestions out there- I would appreciate
Grace
 
"It is an old myth that you can not have your dog into the bedroom, the bed or the couch. If you want to socialize with your dog on the couch or sleeping with it in bed, it is completely up to you"

"We must not be the leader, but instead focus on mutual cooperation.
We will by virtue of our position naturally have the most responsible role. We have to use methods based on trust and respect"


I have never dominated my dogs, but cooperation with them.

They have never been tucked away / been in a cage.
They have learned to organized according to the house rules, always go with me when I have been at home, taking them everywhere - just as we will do with our children - togetherness / love / requirements / impact and not least socialization.

"For that your dog can prosper, it is important that it is part of a dynamic and mobile pack. It's no different than you and me. We all need to feel that we are part of something and have a responsibility"
 
Fire the shock collar trainer immediately. There is no need.

I'll say that honestly, the best thing I ever did was to cover the window behind the sofa with vinyl rice paper. The dogs don't have any idea that window exists, and I still get light. Then I'm not constantly fighting their view. The other windows "go away" when they get stupid, meaning I simply pull the blinds down. Simple environment management rather than dog management.

When you start herding (I train with Susan Rhodes at Keepstone Farm), I'd be interested to know if you can "read sheep". It's an ability more than a skill, and not everyone can. And don't get run over. :)
 
Hi
Thank you for responding. I've had Abigail obedience class for a number of sessions. She listens to most commands. She heels, sits, stays for at least 10 minutes, and down. We are still working on "place"
- somewhere for her to go, not jumping when people come into the home. I take her to nursing homes ( in Maryland it's called Pets on Wheels)-
Abigail also has her Good Citizen Certificate.
BUT we live in an extremely busy area. She barks excessive and lunges at the Windows like a wild dog when golf carts ride by, or people ( sometimes), other cars, etc.
the trainer who comes to the home highly suggested a shock collar- only when she is uncontrollable. I HATE USING IT BUT I DO
we are moving into a quieter area on Jan 23 but there will still be noise
Yes she's in agility, plenty of walks, chasing balls, and hopefully soon herding lessons. She gets plenty of exercise

The thing is this: when the trainer is at my home Abigail listens and does not even go near the window nor barks!! When I go away I give her to a vet assistant and she says Abigail does not go crazy at her home
SO ITS ME
I want my dog to listen and show respect as she does to these people.
I've been reading about " pack leaders for dogs" and it has given me much to think about

Please any suggestions out there- I would appreciate
Grace
Absolutely, do not use a shock collar. Research has shown these to be highly INEFFECTIVE and damaging. There is no reason to use a shock collar. Find a trainer who uses Positive Reinforcement methods.
 
Some good trainers to read up on are people like Victoria Stilwell and Ian Dunbar. They will give you ideas of ways to train your dog using positive reinforcement.
 
a shock collar - oh, no, and then on such a lovable sensitive race - your little baby never going to get confidence in you on this way.

She do not know what you want, a dog do not care about whether it can do heels, sits, stays - it just wants to be part of the pack and have a mission / job.

10 minutes is a long time to concentrate - especially if she have to do it without seeing a purpose for it.

But if she learns it in a fun and loving way (treats are amazing) and a lot of praise - she will do it for you with great pleasure.

one of my favorite Sheltie link: http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/
(I can tell you that shock color is strictly forbidden in my country)
 
I agree with he other posters on the shock collars. I know trainers who use them in certain circumstances but all say never on shelties as they are too sensitive and intellient a breed. Intelligence is a consideration because a sheltie is smart enough to figure out that 1. you are causing the shock, and 2. the shock comes from the collar and so removing the collar will be permission to resume the behavior.

One tip that works for my boy (who is a therapy and service dog) is to get up, look outside, then slap the window and give a "leave it" command. It satisfies him that I am aware of what is going on and do not consider it bark worthy. When he quiets he gets treated and future incidents gradually reduce in severity.
 
I have to agree with the others. Any trainer who suggests using a shock collar for a simple problem like barking at things going past is lazy and ill-informed and should be sacked immediately.

She may be a high drive dog that is excited by movement, and she's probably being territorial. Either way it's a common problem that does not require a shock collar. Prevention is always the best cure - block her access to the window. There is no need for her to be looking out the window if it gets her hyped up.

The reason she isn't doing it at the vet assistant's is she's only protecting her own territory. Why doesn't she do it with the trainer - she's scared and she's distracted. If she continue's barking at the noises going past, tell her to 'leave it' and throw some treats in the opposite direction, away from the window, to distract her. In addition, if the noise is an issue you can desensitise her to the noises by recording it and then playing it back on a loop, at a really low volume, while she is distracted (such as eating) and then slowly increase the sound (never increase it high enough that she starts reacting). Eventually she'll be so used to the noise it won't bother her.

Honestly, she's still young with heaps of energy. If the only problem you have is her barking at windows, it's only a minor thing and you are doing really well. It sounds like your relationship is great already. A lot of the 'pack leader' theories going around have been debunked by legitimate scientific research so be careful what you read. Good leadership is built on communication and understanding, not fear and coercion.

If you have lots of other questions, post in the behaviour forum as I'm sure lots of members will have good ideas.
 
Back
Top