Housebreaking

jlcasto

Forums Novice
So my 6 month old sheltie, Chloe, is still having accidents in the house. She's fairly good with waiting as long as she possibly can with peeing, but when it comes to pooping, she'll get WAY too distracted outside, and then go a few minutes after we get back in the house. She also doesn't have a way to tell me she needs to go out. I've been trying to teach her to scratch at the door, but it's just not catching on. Is she still just too young or am I doing something wrong?
 
6 months old is DEFINITELY NOT too young.

When she poos inside does she always poo in the same spot(s)? If she does then you need to get yourself a really good odor neutralizer. She's confused, she smells that she went there before so thinks its the right place to go.

You may also want to try training to give you a different behavior when she wants out. Someone on this forum (sorry, I can't remember who it was!) has a great idea, she went to an office supply store and bought one of those desk bells and taught her sheltie to ring the bell whenever he/she wanted out. That way it could be heard anywhere in the house and the bell could be brought with them when they were travelling.

Good luck! Let us know how your pup's potty training goes :smile2:
 
And don't forget praise and treat when you do have successes!

When my pup was around 6 months I was having similar issues. Take him outside and he would promptly pee but then wander around sniffing and no poo. At first I was deceived into thinking he didn't need to go....except that almost every day, he would poo 5 or 10 minutes after coming inside.

So two things:

- I took him out twice in quick succession. First to pee, then a little play (to loosen things up) then back outside.
- When he went successfully, lots of praise and treats.

My pup still does the morning "two-phase" but now he tells me when he needs out again.

Good luck!
 
And don't forget praise and treat when you do have successes!

When my pup was around 6 months I was having similar issues. Take him outside and he would promptly pee but then wander around sniffing and no poo. At first I was deceived into thinking he didn't need to go....except that almost every day, he would poo 5 or 10 minutes after coming inside.

So two things:

- I took him out twice in quick succession. First to pee, then a little play (to loosen things up) then back outside.
- When he went successfully, lots of praise and treats.

My pup still does the morning "two-phase" but now he tells me when he needs out again.

Good luck!

how silly of me to forget! Yes, BarbV is very correct, lots of praise and treats are VERY important! :smile2:
 
Back
Top