How clingy is too clingy?

Remember sheep dogs like shelties and collies were bred to work closely with their shephard/farmer so we should expect them to prefer being close.

I agree though, it's a good thing to teach them to entertain themselves.
 
I'm on my second sheltie and to say the truth....I think shelties love being attached to thier owners. My former sheltie, Sassy, and the one I have now, Mya loves to be near me and follow me around like a shadow.
Neither one of them has had any seperation anxiety when I left
the house.
I do enjoy the closeness I get out of my sheltie....and they're real great source of company when I'm in the house alone. I wouldn't want it any other way.
 
Since most dogs have that pack mentality, most breeds will want to be near you (within sight anyways). If I'm watching tv, they are right against the couch so I can't get up without them being stepped on and woken up. The only time they're not in the same room is if we've just gone for a 2-4 hour hike, and I come home and start cleaning-they'll usually just pass out and forget about following me. My cats always want to be within 3 feet of me too. Nobody has separation anxiety, but I also ALWAYS give a treat before leaving for the day. I know it might sound mean, but if mine start to get anxious or whine when they see me putting my shoes on, i don't try to soothe them after the first "it's okay". After that, I say "enough", and they stop whining and calm down. Not allowing them to reach that mental state from the get go is very important.
 
Back
Top